Exercises for aching back?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Louie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Office work is wreaking havoc with my lower back. Sitting in the same position all the time and not exercising is doing damage. I've never experienced this problem before and I really don't want it to be permanent or ongoing.

So, has anybody got tips on simple exercises/stretches/workouts that can remedy this? It would be very much appreciated.

Cheerio

Louie:
Office work is wreaking havoc with my lower back. Sitting in the same position all the time and not exercising is doing damage. I've never experienced this problem before and I really don't want it to be permanent or ongoing.

So, has anybody got tips on simple exercises/stretches/workouts that can remedy this? It would be very much appreciated.

Cheerio

You should get Robin McKenzie's "Treat Your Own Back". It will show you not only what exercises and stretches will help you, but it will also give you ideas on how to set up your desk so it isn't so hard on you.

Another bit of advice- replace your desk chair with an exercise ball. It is very hard for some people to buy into this, but everyone that has taken my advice has thanked me for it. It is very hard to slouch while sitting on an exercise ball, yet it is very natural to maintain a neutral, s-shaped spine. You will find many ultra-expensive "ergonomic" chairs that attempt to accomplish the same thing, but for about $30US, you can have one of the best office chairs available.

Cameron

I have the same problem as I sit on an office table for more than 8 hours everyday. I started doing crunches and back stretching exercises and it helped a lot.

If you can find a certified instructor, try Pilates. It's been an absolute godsend for me. Not only does it strengthen the muscles that support the spine, a good Pilates instructor will also note and help you correct even very subtle errors in your posture that are contributing to the stress on your back. Many instructors have group sessions using a mat and exercise ball that aren't too expensive.

I've found that bridging over a swill ball does wonders. I belive it helps me more than traction. Cameron what do you think about doing a bridge this way or a wrestlers bridge?

I am going to the library to look for the back care book and spend some quality time with gentle exercises this weekend.

Re. Ball for office chair
I knew there was a reason for people doing this. I heard a mean and dreadful account of how an elderly woman in a posh office with a ball chair was instructed by her employer to get rid of it and go back to sitting in the $800.00 backbreaking chair as the sight of an employee on a big plastic ball "lowered the tone" of the place.

If you get the ones with the handle you can not only sit on it, but bounce your way arond the office. :multi:

WaterDawg:
I've found that bridging over a swill ball does wonders. I belive it helps me more than traction. Cameron what do you think about doing a bridge this way or a wrestlers bridge?

Bridging over a ball while relaxed is certainly a good way to "unslouch." Using muscles to bridge like a wrestler, though, could be good for some back problems but very bad for others. A much more benign way is to do modified cobras, like shown at http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/exercises/modifiedcobrastretch.html. This position helps to return bulging lumbar discs to less aggravating positions and is part of the McKenzie program.

Cameron

Louie:
I am going to the library to look for the back care book and spend some quality time with gentle exercises this weekend.

Re. Ball for office chair
I knew there was a reason for people doing this. I heard a mean and dreadful account of how an elderly woman in a posh office with a ball chair was instructed by her employer to get rid of it and go back to sitting in the $800.00 backbreaking chair as the sight of an employee on a big plastic ball "lowered the tone" of the place.

Yes, corporate culture is usually resistant to this idea. I've seen one company (can't remember which right now) that made a line of balls in your choice of silver or black for this reason. If you can convince your boss (or if you *are* the boss), you should at least give this a try. If it doesn't help you, you can still use the exercise ball in your workout program. <g>

Cameron

Cameron,

Thank you for the tip.

My mother had talked about getting an exercise ball so I got her one last weekend but decided to take your advice and try it out.

Doing situps on it has loosened up my back and I feel so much better already. It also beats the computer chair. I think I'll keep it for a while - until I quit the sedentary job.

Perhaps you should start a business making these things with attractive designs - or even better - company logos. I can see them becoming sellers. :D

Back
Top Bottom