Exchanging Euro's in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Another question (decided to open a new thread since the other one developped into an interesting and funny thread about malaria). I recall quite large exchange rates differences from buying SE Asian money in Holland compared to buying it on arrival.

In Holland I get 9978,00 rupiah for 1 euro
When I google I find rates as good as 12,241.20 for 1 euro in Indonesia

What's the normal rate, at a normal bank, at the moment?

Bit boring question but if it saves up to 20% on expenses I can buy more beers and since I never drink alone everybody benefits :D

The rate Rupiah vs Euro change (some time a lot) from day to day so it is basically impossible to answer your question.
You can find changer offices every where in Indonesia, no stress with your Euros...
Personally I change in Indonesia not in Europe...
Cheers

thx for your reply,

I understand they change daily, every minute even but maybe it's general knowledge that exchanging in Indo is always cheaper than in Europe/ USA. Perhaps because their currency is less solid and therefore popular for savings by locals.

let me rephrase my question; should I change in Europe or in Indonesia?

The Rupiah exchange rate should be around 11.800/12.000 IDR for 1€ in Bali or Jakarta therefore much better than in Europe.
It's easy to understand western banks apply hefty charges at buying rupiah notes because they don't need this currency, hence you would get a really bad rate buying rupiah in Holland.
I have never seen such a high rate for rupiah in Indonesia even in the remotest parts, even the hotels will apply better currency rates than your meager 9.980... :D

Basically get the rate here http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?Amount=1&From=EUR&To=IDR&image.x=31&image.y=8 and deduct 200/300IDR per euro and you would have an idea of the buying rate in Jakarta.

Hi Sonar,

Definitely change in Indonesia. Bali being the best place (they have cold bintang too).
However it would be nice to a few rupiahs for the taxi ride to your hotel, unless it is already arranged? You will still have to tip though :)
Just make sure to have 25 usd cash to pay for your visa on arrival.

Where are you gonna be diving?

Enjoy!

Just make sure to have 25 usd cash to pay for your visa on arrival.
Or 25 euros in NOTES and they'll give you back the money 2 or 3€ in rupiah... not worth changing USD for so little value. :wink:

Thank you very much for this clear reply! I have friend picking me up in Bali, arranged a room for the first few nights as well.. Will mainly dive in lombok, gili and komodo, perhaps sulawesi

Good tip about the visum as well :)

Hi Sonar,

Definitely change in Indonesia. Bali being the best place (they have cold bintang too).
However it would be nice to a few rupiahs for the taxi ride to your hotel, unless it is already arranged? You will still have to tip though :)

Easy enough to get some rupiah right after you pick up your luggage in Bali to get you through the taxi ride. Definitely do the bulk of your exchange by walking down the street where you're staying and read everyone's exchange rate displayed outside their door.

Back
Top Bottom