Excess long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MonkSeal:
It's not about your can light, it's about equipment configuration. DIR way is no right waist D-ring and canister should be ditchable. If you put buckle flap inside you'll have difficulties to open it.
Well..

#1: If I put the opening on the inside, I will have no problems opening it. The waist band must be completely undone to ditch, and once it's undone the opening will be free to open.

#2: If the *reason* for having a buckle instead of something else there is to make the canister ditchable weight, then the *reason* disappears when the can is not ditchable weight, therefore the buckle is not needed :wink:

jonnythan:
Well..

#1: If I put the opening on the inside, I will have no problems opening it. The waist band must be completely undone to ditch, and once it's undone the opening will be free to open.

#2: If the *reason* for having a buckle instead of something else there is to make the canister ditchable weight, then the *reason* disappears when the can is not ditchable weight, therefore the buckle is not needed :wink:

The word "your" in my previous post was written in bold with the reason. And that reason applies for both your comments. It's not about you it's about DIR equipment configuration.

#1: You can open it. Let supose something happens to you and your buddy is trying to unbuckle it on surface. What a waste of time to find out that it's on the wrong side.

#2: Only you know that is not ditchable or only you know how to doff it.

C'mon where's the system here?

MonkSeal:
The word "your" in my previous post was written in bold with the reason. And that reason applies for both your comments. It's not about you it's about DIR equipment configuration.

#1: You can open it. Let supose something happens to you and your buddy is trying to unbuckle it on surface. What a waste of time to find out that it's on the wrong side.

#2: Only you know that is not ditchable or only you know how to doff it.

C'mon where's the system here?
If my buddy can't figure out how to open a weight belt buckle, I probably won't be diving with him. It's absurd to say that someone's buddy will be confounded by such a contraption as a BELT BUCKLE (channeling Carlin here a bit).

Same goes for a tri-glide or D-ring, actually...

If you're going to tell me I'm not DIR because I put the opening of the buckle on the inside, your opinion is duly noted and I'd kindly ask you to stay out of my thread :)

You obviously haven't been in the situation to save somebody and I supose you can't judge what's easy and what's hard in such situation.

I'm not trying to tell you anything - be what you wanna be and configure your rig the way you like it. The advice is here, the arguments are here, take it or leave it - simple as that.

MonkSeal:
That's bad idea. Canister should be ditchable weight. The flap on the inside of belt is also bad idea because of the same reason.

Dude, how big is your canister..... :11:

LOL

OK, all kidding aside I can see the point from a DIR perspective....From a system perpective, there's no argument....

On the other hand, however, I doubt that anyone in real life has ever been so out of other options that they ditched the light.

R..

Diver0001:
Dude, how big is your canister..... :11:

LOL

OK, all kidding aside I can see the point from a DIR perspective....From a system perpective, there's no argument....
That was my point.

Diver0001:
On the other hand, however, I doubt that anyone in real life has ever been so out of other options that they ditched the light.

When you're struggling to make unconscious diver to float you'll do anything. Think about rough sea and other stuff that will probably happen in such situation. I don't dive in the pool.

MonkSeal:
When you're struggling to make unconscious diver to float you'll do anything. Think about rough sea and other stuff that will probably happen in such situation. I don't dive in the pool.

You don't have to cop an attitude with me, I see your point.

So is the belt buckle thing the preferred DIR way?

R..

Lord of the Darkside

There are companies out there that will make any length hose you desire in your choice of color even. Maybe a six foot six hose would work better for you.

Actually I believe that you aren't DIR if you put your buckle inside. I recalled one of the interns in one of my classes recommending that, and thought it was interesting. I never did it though and then read someone discount it (JJ or GI I think, but couldn't find the reference via a quick search). In any case, in DIR your light is easily removable, either for ditachable weight, for removing entanglements, or keyholing. Putting the buckle on the inside is going to complicate the removal. The whole point of DIR is to not have to think in an emergency. The less steps there are, the less you have to figure things out the higher a chance you have to survive.

And Johnnythan, if your life is on the line and you need to get the heck out of there, and you need to drop some weight, it may be the last thing you drop, but you will drop it if you need to. Mine is only -2, but push comes to shove and it is gone. Just a flashlight. :D

Mark

jonnythan:
If my buddy can't figure out how to open a weight belt buckle, I probably won't be diving with him. It's absurd to say that someone's buddy will be confounded by such a contraption as a BELT BUCKLE (channeling Carlin here a bit).

Same goes for a tri-glide or D-ring, actually...

If you're going to tell me I'm not DIR because I put the opening of the buckle on the inside, your opinion is duly noted and I'd kindly ask you to stay out of my thread :)

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom