Excess long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
On recent dives and while looking over some recent pictures, I've noticed that there seems to be a little excess slack in my long hose (as well as my HP hose and can light cord, but that's for another thread).

I'm using a standard 7' hose on doubles with DS4s, routed behind my wing, under my can light, and across my chest. I've noticed some excess slack while diving, but didn't think much of it til I saw this picture:
http://www.jonnythan.com/pictures/st_lawrence_8-27-05/html/img_7792.html

Not only is it annoying, but it does appear to sit quite far away from my chest and it does occasionally float in places it shouldn't be.

I'm not sure how to approach solving this or if it's even worth trying to solve. Thoughts?

Looks like it pulled open a buckle too. What's that buckle doing? Is it for the light? That whole buckle just does'nt look right to me...

Also, you're looking to the right in the picutre. does it still hang that loose if you look to the left?

R..

Diver0001:
Looks like it pulled open a buckle too. What's that buckle doing? Is it for the light? That whole buckle just does'nt look right to me...

Also, you're looking to the right in the picutre. does it still hang that loose if you look to the left?

R..
Read post 4. I didn't notice it on that dive, and AFAIK it hasn't opened on a dive before, but from now on I'm putting the opening on the inside of the waist belt.

I don't think it hangs *that* loose if I look to the left, but there's still enough slack in it for it to migrate around a bit and cause some problems. Next dive I'll just try shoving a bit more behind the wing..

jonnythan:
Read post 4. I didn't notice it on that dive, and AFAIK it hasn't opened on a dive before, but from now on I'm putting the opening on the inside of the waist belt.

I don't think it hangs *that* loose if I look to the left, but there's still enough slack in it for it to migrate around a bit and cause some problems. Next dive I'll just try shoving a bit more behind the wing..

Interesting solution. I believe this is the first time I've seen this.

I suppose if it's just there to be in the way (I mean stop the canister from sliding) that you could just remove the flap altogether and be done with it. That would also allow you to leave the fat part of the buckle on the side where you want it.

Of course a 45 degree welded D ring works too and it tucks up underneath the canister to stay out of the way.... you'd probably get a caning for it but it's a clean solution that could make you a trend setter... :wink:

I took a look at some of your other pictures. The hose does'nt look too loose in any of them except the one you posted.

R..

Diver0001:
Interesting solution. I believe this is the first time I've seen this.

I suppose if it's just there to be in the way (I mean stop the canister from sliding) that you could just remove the flap altogether and be done with it. That would also allow you to leave the fat part of the buckle on the side where you want it.

Of course a 45 degree welded D ring works too and it tucks up underneath the canister to stay out of the way.... you'd probably get a caning for it but it's a clean solution that could make you a trend setter... :wink:

I took a look at some of your other pictures. The hose does'nt look too loose in any of them except the one you posted.

R..
But then I'd have to take the D-ring off every time I wanted to take the canister off...

jonnythan:
But then I'd have to take the D-ring off every time I wanted to take the canister off...

That's true, every advantage has a disadvantage. If there isn't anything else on that side of the harnass it just takes a second to remove. It's not a big deal and it's clean.

Anyway it's just an idea to kick around. If you like the way you're doing it then there's no really compelling reason to change it. I think you're right to turn it around, though.

R..

Must be nice to have slack in your 7' hose.....for us "bigger" boys it is difficult to tuck the hose under the light/pocket/knife and still have enough to go up across your chest and around your head.....mine is so tight/snug I need a crowbar if I need to get anything under it while it's on (LOL).....I am actually thinking of getting a 7.5" hose made just for that reason - unless someone has a better idea?

Doc Intrepid:
... that my cave instructor showed me. He didn't route the hose under the cannister. Instead, he doubled it into a bight and shoved the bight through his waistbelt just in front of the can. (He goes through tighter restrictions than I'm willing to squeeze through, and noted that in some of them if he had to deploy the hose it would extend more smoothly this way - esp if the can was tight against the wall...ug, too tight for me.) In this way if you had some excess slack, just shove it a tad further down through your waistbelt. Whatever works...

who was your cave instructor? this sounds like the guy i want to take lessons from.

Diver0001:
That's true, every advantage has a disadvantage. If there isn't anything else on that side of the harnass it just takes a second to remove. It's not a big deal and it's clean.

Anyway it's just an idea to kick around. If you like the way you're doing it then there's no really compelling reason to change it. I think you're right to turn it around, though.

R..

That's bad idea. Canister should be ditchable weight. The flap on the inside of belt is also bad idea because of the same reason.

MonkSeal:
That's bad idea. Canister should be ditchable weight. The flap on the inside of belt is also bad idea because of the same reason.
My can is negative by maybe a pound.. I don't see myself ditching it any time soon.

jonnythan:
My can is negative by maybe a pound.. I don't see myself ditching it any time soon.
It's not about your can light, it's about equipment configuration. DIR way is no right waist D-ring and canister should be ditchable. If you put buckle flap inside you'll have difficulties to open it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom