Excess long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On recent dives and while looking over some recent pictures, I've noticed that there seems to be a little excess slack in my long hose (as well as my HP hose and can light cord, but that's for another thread).

I'm using a standard 7' hose on doubles with DS4s, routed behind my wing, under my can light, and across my chest. I've noticed some excess slack while diving, but didn't think much of it til I saw this picture:
http://www.jonnythan.com/pictures/st_lawrence_8-27-05/html/img_7792.html

Not only is it annoying, but it does appear to sit quite far away from my chest and it does occasionally float in places it shouldn't be.

I'm not sure how to approach solving this or if it's even worth trying to solve. Thoughts?

It looks like you have room to pull a bit of that extra hose backwards without it becoming an entanglement hazard.
That should tighten it up in the chest area a bit.

edit: Or, you can put 40 lbs on.......

While you're at it, check that buckle you have holding your can light in place, talk about entanglement hazards. sheesh :D

Quarrior:
While you're at it, check that buckle you have holding your can light in place, talk about entanglement hazards. sheesh :D
Yeah, no kidding... will start putting the opening on the *inside* from now on :wink:

if you got enough slack in the long hose, you can also try and hook it around the knife/shears sheath on your waist. that'll tighten it up some.

And while we're here, those tek40s will flood on you. just a matter of time. when they do, it'll be within a month of each other. mine (all 3 of them) went on for ~2.5yrs of faithful service. then all 3 flooded and cracked (water+alkaline battery=expansion) within about 3wks of each other. weird.

-Roman.

detroit diver:
It looks like you have room to pull a bit of that extra hose backwards without it becoming an entanglement hazard.
That should tighten it up in the chest area a bit.

edit: Or, you can put 40 lbs on.......
Agree with Jack, (but not about the 40 lbs!)

You're not going with a 6' hose, so next best would be to leave a bit more slack back behind your can light, to keep it a bit more taut across the chest. If it continues to bug you, there is another option that my cave instructor showed me. He didn't route the hose under the cannister. Instead, he doubled it into a bight and shoved the bight through his waistbelt just in front of the can. (He goes through tighter restrictions than I'm willing to squeeze through, and noted that in some of them if he had to deploy the hose it would extend more smoothly this way - esp if the can was tight against the wall...ug, too tight for me.) In this way if you had some excess slack, just shove it a tad further down through your waistbelt. Whatever works...

jonnythan:
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

i often complained about this slack in my classes and the instructor told me to tuck the slack in my waiststrap. after that problem solved. try it out, im sure youl notice the difference.

Spoon:
i often complained about this slack in my classes and the instructor told me to tuck the slack in my waiststrap. after that problem solved. try it out, im sure youl notice the difference.
I'm not sure how I could tuck anything into my waist strap when I'm using the can light..

jonnythan:
I'm not sure how I could tuck anything into my waist strap when I'm using the can light..

my instructor uses a can light as well and there is still space to the left of the can light near the area of your buckle.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom