Excess harness material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hory

Contributor
Reaction score
Just got my Halcyon Eclipse today. The harness that came with it was quite generous. AFter fitting it, there's still quite a length of harness material left. My questions:

1. From the left side of the harness where the buckle is installed, how long should the excess harness be so that I can adjust it in case I gain inches around the belly? Geeze, I hope not!

2. From the right side of the harness that threads into the buckle, how long should the harness material be to be safe from entanglement?

Any suggestions on how to set this portion up correctly is mighty appreciated.

Hory

I'm not sure what exactly is DIR, but my buckle reaches to about the crest of my left hipbone, and the excess comes back just a few inches. It's held in place by the webbing coming from the right through the buckle that extends to a few inches past the crotch strap. It seems to work fine for me. I didn't really leave much "excess" just in case I get fatter than I am. I guess I can just buy some more webbing if that does happen.

The webbing from your left should have the buckel on it. This should be long enough to reach your right side and hold the canaster in place. The extra right hand side material I leave long enough to go back through the loop for the crotch strap plus about 3 inches.

Left side- place your buckle about halfway between your crotch strap and cannister light (use a separate buckle to hold your light, otherwise you're asking for trouble). Thread the webbing so the excess goes back over the webbing on the inside and use some pieces of innertube to hold it.

Right side- should extend past your buckle at least, say 3 in., probably better if it's just long enough to run it into your crotch strap loop.

Ben

I saw this picture which might aid the discussion:

1. Left side strap. Onebrightgator is right. The buckle should be halfway between the crotch strap and the canister light. The excess harness material extends past the crotch strap and past the DIR dive knife. The inner tubing sounds like a good idea to hold it in place.

2. Ride side strap. Goes through the buckle and past the crotch strap and past the DIR dive knife. Seems like 3 inches past the DIR dive knife is right.

On the canister light requiring its own buckle. How do you set up this second buckle? I don't have a canister light (yet) but would be interested to learn how to set it up for future use.

Thank you everyone for your posts.

Hory

Your cannister light will thread onto your right waist strap, all the way against your backplate, then slide a buckle on the same strap (unthreaded, but in the same orientation as your waist strap buckle) up against the cannister and close it. This holds your cannister in place, using your waist strap buckle works, but when your harness is unbuckled there's nothing holding your cannister on.

Ben

Hory:
On the canister light requiring its own buckle. How do you set up this second buckle? I don't have a canister light (yet) but would be interested to learn how to set it up for future use.
The second buckle isn't "set up", per se. It's just slid over the harness material after the cannister, then buckled. Think of it as a clamp, rather than a buckle, since there's nothing being buckled together. If I was at home I'd post pictures... if no one beats me to it I will try posting a couple when I get home.

Jimmie

Is it me or that the diver in Hory's photo has too much webbing in his waist strap? It looks like the right side webbing is threaded THROUGH the DIR knife pouch. I realize that the crotch strap has been removed for clarity, but I would think that the right side should be shorter. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The left side should double back and be secured with bicycle tubes - helpful if ur going from skin/wetsuit/drysuit.

1) Don't slide your canister light all the way to the backplate if you want to reach your butt ring... gaak... hindermost ring. Leave enough room that your arm can fit between the backplate and the canister light. You're welcome.

2) Yes... by all means slide a buckle onto the webbing and clamp it down to hold the light in place so that when you undo your waist strap the canister doesn't slide off into the water or onto the pavement.

3) Trim excess weight belting with a hot knife. If you don't own a hot knife just heat the tip of one of your steak knives over the stove until it is dull red.

4) Stitch the extra weight belt material into a knife sheath. Bust the tip off the steak knife from step 3, put it in the sheath and your in business.

5) If you gain so much weight that your harness no longer fits consider the $12~$15 new webbing will cost a penalty for being a glutton. That might save you from continued gluttony which would result in a $1500~$2000 penalty for a new drysuit.

Mistake I made with my new webbing: Put on dry suit with all the undies and cut webbing with about 3" to spare. Oops! Forgot the weight belt went underneath and I needed to leave room. So, suck in gut, shove belt into buckle, think about new diet to save $15 penalty...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom