Ex Miami Dolphin fall off Boat - Swims 9 miles to shore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

South Florida in the summertime, flat calm conditions, 80+ degree water, swimming in from 9 miles would be an accomplishment. Just seems like it would be near impossible to swim in the conditions that day.... 15-20 mph NE wind in the gulfstream makes for horrendous conditions. 5-8 ft confused seas, 70 degree water.... Also the boat (with auto pilot set on a north east heading) ended up on Grand Bahama between West End and Freeport. This is due east of where Konrad landed in Palm Beach. Seems like the gulfstream would have carried the boat much further north.

I'm not sure what happened, but his story isn't adding up.

Coach Jones of EMU claimed the optimum temperature for swim practice was 72 degrees. He kept the pool at that temp and the workouts were 15-20K and lasted for 5-6 hours per day. So it is possible to stay in 70 degree water for extended time and perform physically. Here is a link for those that want to start some cold water training, sans wetsuit. http://www.1vigor.com/article/open-water-swimming-cold-water-acclimation/

The swimmer in question looks like he is in decent shape and probably had some cardio, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. Unless there is another woman involved and thought the wife was going to find out...

Last edited:
The water was NOT 70... Probably 74 to 76.. which is a lot warmer.

They were yakking about this on the radio yesterday.

Talking about how impossible it is to swim that far in the ocean etc etc.

You do not know what you are capable of until you are in a life or death situation. Amazing things occur when you are faced with your own demise.

Or, maybe he is lying and it was an insurance scam.

It is South Florida, there are better ways to collect your insurance money. Like walk out in the street at night in the dark wearing dark clothes and get hit by a car.

If this was an episode of Miami Vice or CSI Miami then it would have been a drug deal that went wrong and the bad guys threw him overboard! But I believe that he is telling the truth.

Maybe he wasn't trying to land a fish (perhaps he was peeing off the back of the boat and didn't want to say that!) And maybe he exaggerated the size of the waves, the distance, and the amount of time in the water a bit (because it seemed that way to him) but I am sure that something bad happened and that he was in the water for a long, hard time.

One of the articles said that the hospital kept him overnight because he was being treated for rhabdomyolysis. That is a breakdown of muscle tissue that can damage the kidneys. Some of the causes of rhabdomyolysis are extreme exertion and hypothermia; so he wasn't just out for a gentle, moonlight swim.

Anyone know what kind of boat he was in?

Seems if it had autopilot it was a nice boat...

Anyone know what kind of boat he was in? Seems if it had autopilot it was a nice boat...

"Konrad told police he had been fishing on his 36-foot Grady White, after leaving the Hillsborough Inlet about 1 p.m. Wednesday."

Here is a detailed analysis of all the information available about Konrad's accident and swim

What Do We Know About Rob Konrad's 16 Hours At Sea?

I'd be very curious about his range of motion in his shoulders. Mr. Konrad was a retired NFL fullback, my understanding is that because of the physical contact, shoulder injuries are the norm, not the exception and that it is unlikely he could fully extend his arms above his head. Obviously this is a substantial hindrance to swimming. As others have said, this would be an exceptional swim for almost anyone

Back
Top Bottom