Ever been boinked by a Great White?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rather poor viz. brings up an interesting question. If you're in water like that, and a large great white passes by so you see and identify it, and it leaves your field of vision...now what? Do you...

1.) Hover 5 minutes or so, trying not to think about the Jaws music, then slowly make your way back wherever?

2.) Lay on the bottom awhile, because you heard they're ambush predators and may like to attack from below?

3.) Head directly up to the surface & try to signal the boat to come get you ASAP?

4.) Immediately head back along your route to end the dive?

5.) Proceed with your dive as planned?

Something else?

The guy is lucky he was wearing a wetsuit, otherwise we would probably have another warhammer maneuver on video.

If inking works for octopi, I say go for it!

Richard.

The rather poor viz. brings up an interesting question. If you're in water like that, and a large great white passes by so you see and identify it, and it leaves your field of vision...now what? Do you...

1.) Hover 5 minutes or so, trying not to think about the Jaws music, then slowly make your way back wherever?

2.) Lay on the bottom awhile, because you heard they're ambush predators and may like to attack from below?

3.) Head directly up to the surface & try to signal the boat to come get you ASAP?

Something else?

If inking works for octopi, I say go for it!

Richard.

I have only been in the water with a Great White once -although I have seen them
a few times from boats.

The in water encounter was off Pebble Beach in Monterey Bay.

My dive buddy knew the waters well and told me "If you see a shark just drop to the
bottom and get behind some rocks."

We always dived as a same ocean, same day team not bothering to maintain any real
contact. Just a slow casual dive.

I was about 50 feet under when I spotted a large shark above and to my right.

I dropped to the bottom, about 80 feet or so at that point, and watched as the shark swam above
me.

I waited for a bit and then, swimming along the bottom, on a reverse azimuth compass course,
made my way to shore.

My friend was already ashore.

His comment was; "That was a pretty big Great White. I think it's time for us to get dressed and
talk about this at lunch."

Only one 30 minute dive that day.

Last edited:
Nah, they see me and run away... just like the women

Something else?

Richard.
I’d say any of the above depending on your bent.
Personally I would stay on the bottom and make my way back to shore or boat finding as much cover as I could as I travelled, and keeping my eyes open. They like to circle around and come up behind you.

There was a guy who regularly dived the Farallon Islands as a commercial urchin harvester. He had encounters every time he was out there, so much so that he knew them individually and had them all named. He got so used to them and them to him that he swore they would show up just to say hi.

There was a guy who regularly dived the Farallon Islands as a commercial urchin harvester. He had encounters every time he was out there, so much so that he knew them individually and had them all named.

What would a job have to pay to make those working conditions acceptable? Wow.

Richard.

I’d say any of the above depending on your bent.
Personally I would stay on the bottom and make my way back to shore or boat finding as much cover as I could as I travelled, and keeping my eyes open. They like to circle around and come up behind you.

There was a guy who regularly dived the Farallon Islands as a commercial urchin harvester. He had encounters every time he was out there, so much so that he knew them individually and had them all named. He got so used to them and them to him that he swore they would show up just to say hi.

Nice post Eric Sedletzky,

The Farallon Islands are a notorious Great White hangout. Lots of Youtube videos of White Sharks attacking seals
off those Islands.

The brave commercial urchin harvester was, apparently, putting off a vibe that the sharks sensed.

Very interesting.

After observing giant sea bass for decades and noting apparent GWS attacks on them from above, I think the legend of GWS attacking entirely from below is in error.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom