Ever been boinked by a Great White?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After observing giant sea bass for decades and noting apparent GWS attacks on them from above, I think the legend of GWS attacking entirely from below is in error.

Nice post drbill:

Very interesting observations.

When feeding on seals/sea lions they, normally, attack from below.
Other prey they probably take on an opportunistic basis

I wonder where that was?
People in my area have had encounters.

This video's been making the rounds on the internet for the past month or two. When it first showed up, I did some searching and found it's from Australia.

I've seen quite a few sharks, but never a GW. I've never been the least afraid -- until this last trip. It was "just" a large grey reef shark, but they were in hunting mode as there were a LOT of fish around, and for once it did get close enough that it scared me a little. It became obvious that, if it decided to attack or taste, there would be absolutely nothing that I could do. Shoot, I can't even catch a turtle!

My dive buddy said they were "checking us out".

- Bill

I've seen quite a few sharks, but never a GW. I've never been the least afraid -- until this last trip. It was "just" a large grey reef shark, but they were in hunting mode as there were a LOT of fish around, and for once it did get close enough that it scared me a little. It became obvious that, if it decided to attack or taste, there would be absolutely nothing that I could do. Shoot, I can't even catch a turtle!

My dive buddy said they were "checking us out".

- Bill
Dive with a stick you can whack it with. It probably won't help, but you'll feel better.

South African spear fisher surprised by shark - 9News @yle can you provide a source because that occurring here would have made big news not shown up on FB.

Dang... I wish I could. I might be mistaken. My son showed me the clip a while ago, and since the water (and the shark) looked similar to what we dive in here in So Cal we were interested in whether or not it was local.

I did a quick search, found it wasn't in So Cal... and I thought what I found said it was Australia, but it's very possible I got my GW hot spots mixed up.

Boinked by a fish? Is that even possible?

Close your eyes and repeat "fish sticks" until you get it....

I've never swam with a great white (to my knowledge, anyway). But last year in the Red Sea I did get nudged by an oceanic white-tip ... the same one I almost landed on when I did a giant stride off the back of the boat.

And two years ago I got gang-tackled by a bunch of stellar sea lions ... but they were just playing. I was more concerned about them biting a hole in my drysuit than anything else. Here's a pic of them descending on my dive buddy on a subsequent dive ...

IMG_2628.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom