Evening/Morning - UK Female seeks Guidance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seascorp

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
I'm new to diving, new to the site and seeking honest impartial guidance from UK & overseas divers.

Dilema - Newly single Bridget jones type female wants to fulfil lifetime ambition and take up scuba diving. I have been on 5 accompanied try dives this year and I deperately want to get OW certification.
Confusion - Have rung 3 dive schools in UK & all have said different things, one has suggested to do referral in this country and complete in hot country as UK dive season winding up :06:
Extra baggage - Have been looking at many diving sites/packages/holidays etc. but i will be going on my own :05: i'm shy & don't know how friendly a place is unless by recommendation....

Hmmmm this first msg was supposed to be shorter than it has turned out, any advice really appreciated!

Thanks
Liz aka Seascorp

Can't go wrong with Bob3's advice. Check to see if the dive shop is running a trip someplace warm (MALTA MALTA MALTA - oh sorry I'm a wreck diver :D) and see if you can hook up with a group and finish off you cert dives with them.

Seascorp:
Hi Everyone
I'm new to diving, new to the site and seeking honest impartial guidance from UK & overseas divers.

Dilema - Newly single Bridget jones type female wants to fulfil lifetime ambition and take up scuba diving. I have been on 5 accompanied try dives this year and I deperately want to get OW certification.
Confusion - Have rung 3 dive schools in UK & all have said different things, one has suggested to do referral in this country and complete in hot country as UK dive season winding up :06:
Extra baggage - Have been looking at many diving sites/packages/holidays etc. but i will be going on my own :05: i'm shy & don't know how friendly a place is unless by recommendation....

Hmmmm this first msg was supposed to be shorter than it has turned out, any advice really appreciated!

Thanks
Liz aka Seascorp
Malta is cooler this time of year and still good Gozo is great Moby mark or St Andrews in Zlendi sorry about the spelling but whats left of the Carribean is a good bet too, where are you in the UK? I know loads of single ladies who travel alone if your worried go all inclusive they atract familys and less chance of getting hit on all the time?

Howdy!

And welcome to SB - the biggest, the best, the fastest growing, and :D the friendliest!
If you'll simply click ScubaBoard.com above, you'll be taken to our long list of forums, a wealth of information and resources. My favorite is at the bottom: Singles Dive Club. Be sure to check our New2Scuba forums and our UK Dive Club here.

Your first message was just fine. As Bob suggested, kinda' need to know time & money to play here.Doing the class & pool there, then the check-outs in a warmer clime would be nice.

A single gal alone needs to be cautious traveling, of course, but I'll be there are groups trips leaving there often. And we have group trips here on SB, in the various forums.

PM me if I can help you learn your way around; that is - click my username to the upper left, then follow the prompts to send me a "Personal Message." :thumb:

:cowboy: don

Hi there and welcome to ScubaBoard! :dazzler1:

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

WELCOME to ScubaBoard Liz!!!

You've been moved to get better advice on your dilemma, but you've already got some good info.
You budget, time and money is a big factor in the advice we can give you. I already have a favorite place in the Philippines I'm going to visit once more next month before I branch out and dive some other sites.
Friendly, there's scads of friendly places! Let us know how much time and such that you have... You're not afraid of the sun and warm water are you? I understand that's some kind of problem with some Brits, they just don't know what to do without at least a 7mm wetsuit.
I could be wrong though.

Tom

Welcome to the madhouse.
Some of us nutcases dive all year round, so would argue with the winding up bit, plus we teach in dry suits (that may be a difference to some). It's entirely up to you, did you do your try dives here or abroad ? Are you thinking of diving here or just on holiday?
If you want to dive here, then train here. You'll get used to conditions a lot better. If not then a referral is a possible solution, you would have the issue of travelling on your own as you point out though. You might consider a "local" club, that would give you potentially other people for dive trips.

PM sent in response to this and above.
Thats the beauty of Scubaboard, once you start you can't stop :wink:

Cheers for now and if you want any more help feel free to PM.

Hoppy

Hi there..I live in Malta and just finished my PADI open water course with Aquaworld in Sliema. Its getting cooler now but diving is still ok and Ill be going to Gozo tomorrow for a dive. Calypso Diving, and George Vella are well organised and have always been very helpful and friendly. But overall there are plenty of good options on the island.

Back
Top Bottom