Where is the best place to go Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oldbear

Teaching Neutral Diving
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
How often do we see threads asking where is the place to go Pro? Who has the best IDC? Who trains the best Divemaster?

After reading many of the answers on these post, including my own, there is one major flaw to all of them...

They are based on personal experiences of the writer...who has done just one DM and one IDC (unless they did an AI and an OWSI course separately which is rare.) So without experiencing more than one how can we say our experiences are the best? So instead of saying my IDC or DM course is the best ever, I think we could offer future Pro divers with strong recommendations.

I would like to offer my recommendations for Going Pro based on my experiences.

Please List Yours:

BSAC Dive Leader - Kuwait Mantas BSAC #1045
While working on a overseas contract in the Middle East I joined the local Kuwait City BSAC diving club. I knew that when my contract was over in about four months I was going to pursue my PADI Divemaster certification. I thought the BSAC Dive Leader's rating would be a good compliment to my PADI training. I was ever so correct. While there are many overlaps there are equally just as many if not more different skills. Our club training officer was Brian Darvell. This was my first exposure to a truly experience diver who taught diving and not just provided instruction. I am not going into great details for unless you live in Kuwait City for 3-6 months, joining the local BSAC and then taking the Dive Leaders course there is not much point to it...Brian does not teach professional, he teaches for the love of diving and for the club.

PADI Divemaster - Utila Dive Center
I completed my DMT May 2012 in Honduras on the island of Utila at the Utila Dive Center (UDC - http://www.utiladivecenter.com/diving-utila.htm ) and when I completed the training I was so happy that I chose UDC.

When I choose my DMT program I had several selection criteria that I was looking for. What I found in my search was that UDC fit all of these criteria:
1. New location that I had never been to before; I like to explore as much as possible:
a. I did my PADI OW in Denver, Colorado with a referral for the Open Water dives in Puerto Morales, MX.
b. I did my PADI AOW in a couple of spots in Puerto Rico.
c. I did my PADI Rescue Diver in Dubai, UAE.
d. I did my PADI Master Diver in Phuket, Thailand.
e. I did my BSAC Dive Leader in Kuwait.
f. After reading about the coral reef in Utila, I added this destination as a possibility, but I was also considering Koa Tao, Thailand and Cairns, Australia.
2. Professional training program and not just an add-on to generate cash:
a. UDC had PADI’s 5-Star Career Development Center rating and I like their GoPro website. I read in completely different websites not ran by UDC how they were awarded with PADI’s training awards; I later learned that this was not done based on volume, but quality.
b. From my personal experience at UDC I was so pleased to see a separation of “Paying Guests” and “Dive Trainees” with dedicated boats for each...I think this made it more enjoyable for both groups since the dive objectives were completely different.
c. All PADI courses have their minimum required tasks that need to be completed to a certain level of proficiency. The UDC team had also included a few tasks that they felt would benefit the DMTs in the future.
d. Another feature to their training program was the assignment of a mentor. We did not have just one instructor conducting the training we had six instructors with Suzy Phipps – UK, Maya Pedersen – Denmark, Fernando Canada – Spain, and Josiah Mackin – USA, being the primary instructors; so you get a variety of different teaching styles and knowledge backgrounds. But it was our Mentor, Maya in my case, that provided that one-on-one guidance through the unforeseen waters of the program. My mentor was Maya Pedersen who I now consider a true friend and a treasured colleague of Poseidon’s domain.
e. When I took my DMT a few of the staff members were on vacation. But upon their return, I was amazed how they knew who I was and would say hello. I cannot tell you how good this made me feel that UDC recognized me as a individual person and not just another student in the training pool. And when I look back upon my entire experience from my initial contact seeking information to well after I returned home, UDC has treated me better than any other school, college, training center (dive or professional) I have ever seen.
3. Strong recommendation:
a. When I asked ScubaBoard for recommendations for a good training center to go to in Utila, UDC was the top of their recommendations.
b. This is one thread that I started, http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-america/401825-dive-master-training-bay-islands-caribbean.html . I also was provided recommendation on other threads or read about them.
c. Since taking my DMT at UDC, I have run into fellow UDC alumni in Greece and the US. We all have been grateful on choosing UDC.
4. Ecology and conservation education programs:
a. My formal college education is in Wildlife Management with strong emphases in Biodiversity and Conservation. While I no longer work full-time in that career field or consider myself a Biologist, I do call myself a Conservationist and a Naturalist. My current career field is in Project Management. So I was looking for a ecology/conservation education program that I could teach to High School age children in an after-school program and combine Ocean Conservation and Project Management.
b. UDC, under the guidance of Suzy Phipps B.sc. a Marine Biologist, runs the Science Career Development Center for the Beautiful Oceans Academy. Suzy conducts a great marine ecology education program. The programs has two components; 1) Coral Reef Architecture & Organisms and 2) Coral Reef Ecosystem and Food Web. I took both courses and took the Instructor’s courses for each component.
c. Not only did I gain the tools that I was looking for, I learned so much about the coral reefs, that I now never look at a dive the same way again. The enhancement has been exhilarating.
5. Additional technical courses, e.g. Rebreather and Intro to Tech Diving:
a. As I explore other Recreational Diving methods, I have been testing the waters of Technical Diving. I still have my original BDC set-up, but I also have been diving more and more with a BP/Wing and a more Tec-style of reg and hose configuration. But I still have not have not had the formal training. So I was looking at Tec Diving courses.
b. UDC is the only DSAT and IANTD technical diving center in Central America. In my correspondences with Andy Phipps, Course Director, prior to coming to UDC we had discussed taking their Rebreather course. While time did not permit this to happen, it was offered and an opportunity that I was looking for. Instead I focused on the Marine Ecology courses and my Divemaster training.

When selecting a training center to do my Divemaster training, I was set specific criteria that I wanted in a Dive Center. UDC fulfilled those requirements and then so much more. Training was at my own pace (you can take as long as you need or want, all while diving every day for the same price) and not a pre-cut “canned” schedule. The instructors were laid back, yet very professional in the quality of their instructions. If I excelled in one particular area, great we reviewed and demonstrated. In areas that I was not so strong or had all together forgotten, they spent the time working with me to make sure that not only could I perform the skill, but I understood the “why” behind the skill. There were students who were taking multiple courses such as OW – DM that I saw had more proficient skills than some of the DMs that have guided me over the years. You hear the phrase "Zero to Hero" often on Scuba board and I have historically been skeptical of programs that offer them. But as in the case of most of these divers I dove with at UDC, they demonstrated that they had the skills necessary to be certified with the DM rating. At the end of the day, most people were not in a rush to get out of there; a popular activity was to just enjoy the sunset from a platform at the end of the pier or hang around for the weekly BBQ.

Utila was an incredible environment to do my DMT. The reef had so much to offer that in a month I knew that I still did not see most of it. There were walls, gardens, swim-throughs, corals of all types and the fish species that are attracted to the corals. One day on the way back from two morning dives, we had the opportunity to snorkel with wild dolphins...that I will never forget. We did miss the whale sharks, maybe next time.

Before coming to UDC, my plans were to do each leg of my training at different locations worldwide with different training centers. So far I have had a one exceptional course (BSAC), and from PADI a few good ones and one really bad one with that philosophy. Now after my UDC experience, especially as time away from the center sets in) I am re-examining that train of thought. I feel that the training, the logistics, the program, the instructors, and the community were so good and idea for what I want from training, I am now incline to return to UDC for my IDC. This time I will bring my daughter, whose DM training lacked in comparison to UDC’s.

To Suzy who helped me the Beautiful Ocean’s Instructor’s course, to Maya who was a great mentor & instructor and to Fernando and Josiah “Juicy” for the DM foundation and to the rest of the UDC staff…thanks for such an incredible and life changing experience. I hope that our trails cross again and there will be time to blow some bubbles together (unless we are using rebreathers ). :yeahbaby:

PADI IDC - Flatirons Scuba Diving, Broomfield, CO USA
My original plans were to return to UDC for my IDC...my DMT was that good. But life got in the way of that. I lost my job and my primary source of income. After taking a GUE Fundies course at Flatirons Scuba - Premier Colorado Dive Store PADI Scuba Certification Classes in Colorado one of the owners indicated that they would be interested in bring on board as a Assistant Instructor. After my DM training I interviewed with another Metro-LDS about working as a DM and they suggested that first I take the AI course, so I did. After four months of several promised "interviews" that never came about I, I came to the realization that I was just another student for this LDS. Once I joined the Flatirons team I was truly welcomed and found a home (which I would love to reconnect when I return to the state). I applied for a job in the Marshall Islands and when negotiations started luck was with me that Flat Irons' Course Director, Bob Ross, was conducting an IDC that would let me to complete it before I deployed to the Marshall Islands.

I did not know at the time when I signed up for the course just how much luck was with me. My IDC with Bob Ross was an entirely different experience than what I had with UDC or the other Denver LDS...which to me made the training unique to Bob. There where four IDC candidates and one dropped the course due to scheduling conflicts. Bob gave not only wonderful and insightful classes but he showed a genuine care for each student. We each came to the course with a different set of skills, experiences and future interests. Bob took all of these and incorporated them into the course so masterfully. When we went to the IE, Bob was there to support us. When it was all over and we went our different ways it was like leaving a family unit....we had become very close wit each other.

If you are in the Denver area, I would not recommend the Big Named LSD, I personally did not see the genuine personal interest in me as a student and especially as any part of their future. But with Bob Ross and Flatirons from the time I first stepped in the door I felt welcomed and that they cared for me as a diver, as a student and finally as a team member. :yeahbaby:

Back
Top Bottom