Europe - the cost of having the Euro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let's compare boat diving costs around Europe . . .one thing I like is being able to compare in the same currency.

I've just looked it up . . .one dive shop in West of Ireland charges 30 euro for 1 boat dive with air fill.

One shop I contacted in the south of Ireland charges £360 sterling for a 12 dive safari week. Hard boat, all tanks, air and weights provided plus selcatering accomodation. Wouldn't give me a price in euros though so no way of comaparing, although I plan to ring them when I go home at Christmas and ask.

Trip to Cornwall was £40/day, tanks, weights and lunch provided. That is roughly €55

In Greece i paid E25 for a dive (tank,weights)
In Ibiza it was exactly the same for a single dive.

I think UK charters roughly its £30 for a days diving off a RIB, £40 off a hardboat (Normally 2 dives). Excludes air.

Our club boat we charge members £12 for first day diving (as many dives as we want to fit in) and £6 for subsequent days.

Hello,
I am an American; however, please do not judge us by the troll-like titmouse and his blathering (poor spelling too) :rolleyes: . Those are the folks who really do not blend in well when they travel...can I get a "holy crap Maude check out that old building (pointing to the Tower Of London)" amen here?
Thanks for confirming the "ugly American" rap....:rolleyes:
I lived in the UK for 5 years as a kid. I was stationed in Germany briefly. I have worked and travelled throughout Europe. My wife is English and we both lived in Brighton. We now live in Lanzarote (Canary Islands)...well...I will be back there as soon as this little peacekeeping stint is complete in Kosovo :rolleyes:
A-N-Y-W-A-Y....I hope the above give me the ability to make a few observations:
A one tank guided dive in Playa Blanca runs ~30-40e for tourists.
The euro is not such a bad idea. I like the idea that some countries have decided against adopting it as is thier right. Of course as I am getting paid in dollars at the moment and sending it home to an offshore account I would prefer the dollar return to 1-1 with the euro.
When I lived in the UK I found it very expensive. I was astonished at the low salaries paid to fellow engineers...and the incentive to fall into debt using the "overdraft". I also could not believe the food prices...absolutely ridiculous (as of FEB 2003).
On the other hand my new home is very reasonable...and inexpensive to live under the Euro. Granted under normal circumstances I am self employed along with my wife. Like anywhere else in the world circumstances and pricing vary for a multitude of reasons.
With regard to third world former eastern bloc countries all I can say from first hand experience is that the Balkans will be draining European coffers for a LONG time to come.
Alright...enough of me...I am sure that I will be basted in an ineffective and annoying manner by my undistinguished fellow American...but...in the name of international diplomacy (and because my wife would not have it any other way :D ) I thought I would prove that some of us can converse in a civil manner...holy crap...I am starting to sound like Jeremy Paxton...
And any Canarian divers please stick your heads up and say hi! :D

MosheDyan once bubbled...

The euro is not such a bad idea. I like the idea that some countries have decided against adopting it as is thier right.

Interestingly with that every country that has allowed its people to vote on the issue has voted no to the euro - all the countries in it were entered by their governments without consulting the populace.

I cant wait for the vote here - so i can go out and vote no at first oppertunity :)

mark my words, when they bring it in we will get bent over a barrel and get a double helping!

my dad said we got a double helping when we went decimal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom