Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Spain

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Turkey

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Croatia's win and the draw between Austria and Poland mean Croatia are through to the knockout stages. It also means that the match between Austria and Germany on Monday cannot be another squalid, non-aggression pact (remember their travesty in the 1982 World Cup? :shakehead:). All of a sudden, Germany are treading on thin ice. A draw would get them through (based on their head-to-head result with Poland), but can they afford to play for a draw, knowing that a fluke goal by Austria sends them home?

My word! What drama in yesterday's two games. Who'd have thunk that Gemany would get such a kick in the nuts? And as for the Poland - Austria game, what a stupid stupid stupid mistake by Wasilewski in the dying seconds of the game! He probably didn't have a good night's rest afterwards.

Having said that, I think Austria played very well throughout the game and was perhaps a little unlucky not to have scored earlier. So, while being handed the equalising goal on a silver platter, I still think it was well deserved.

Good points ScubaTexan, I think this groop is going to turn out to be the most interestin one of the tournament.

Here's looking forward to tonights game between the Netherlands and France. I can't wait to see the orange machine rip the French apart...

What a stupid judge!!! It was his fault, he did it on purpose!!!!!

He would not even dare to do so in the Premier Leauge!!!!!!!

And there was no reason to have penalty!!!!

But on the other hand we were not good and would probably lost even more if not the goal keeper. Boruc rules!!!!!

Mania

Wait, hold the bus! What am I missing here?

Wasilewski took a fist full of Prodl's shirt and pulled him off balance. If he did this anywhere on the field during any stage of the game it would have resulted in a free kick, no questions asked. But he chose to do it in the penalty box where the obvious consequence would be a spot kick and he chose to do so 15 seconds before the final whistle blows, leaving Poland no time whatsoever to recover from the equalising goal. You can hardly blame the ref fro that!

Don't count Germany out just yet. They are pretty good at rebounding after early tournament losses. Sad for them, they would need to face Portugal in the second round, which will be a big ask.

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure they'll go through and we've seen with previous tournaments that teams going into the knock-out stages can change their tack pretty impressively. With the World Cup, France played dismally in the group stages and only just made it out of their group, once they were in the knock-out stages they were firing on all cyllinders and very nearly took the championship.

...With the World Cup, France played dismally in the group stages and only just made it out of their group, once they were in the knock-out stages they were firing on all cyllinders and very nearly took the championship.
I suggest that this time is different considering the injuries to two of France's key players. No team deserves to advance based on their reputation. At this point in the competition they all must realize that every match is the most important one.

I agree.

Now, can someone explain to me please what happens if the Czech Republic and Turkey draws their match on Sunday? I think it's safe to say that Portugal will go through top of the group (unless they're defeated by Poland which is highly unlikely AND either Turkey or Czech Rep defeat the other team by a big margin).

I've had a look at the tournament format but it doesn't clarify for me what happens if Czech Rep and Turkey play to a draw.

They will both they have an equal number of points in the group (4 points).
a) The game played between the two teams in question will have been a draw (obviously)
b) The two teams will have exactly the same goal difference.
c) The two teams will have scored exactly the same number of goals throughout the group stage.
d) Doesn't make sense to me as all games are played away from home.
e) Not applicable
f) Not sure I understand this one but it might seem as if Czech Rep will go through based on their 1 yellow card as opposed to the 6 yellow cards of Turkey. Is my understanding correct here?
g) Has this ever actually happened that a team went through a group stage based on the drawing of lots?

So, can someone clarify this for me please?

I think that you have misread the rules. The rules you refer to are for the qualifying competition. The rules for the final tournament are available through the Euro 2008 website. Go to the "matches" page and follow the link to the .pdf file for the rules.

Specifically see rule 7.07. There is no reference to home/away goals, but there is a reference to a coefficient from the qualifying competitions for the FIFA World Cup and Euro qualifying (points obtained/number of matches played).

It seems to me from a read of the rules that your interpretation in point f) would be correct.

The only time I can recall that a team advanced based on a drawing of lots was in the Gold Cup (CONCACAF) when Canada advanced. This was a few years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom