Ethanol Killing Outboard Motors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sitting here LOL..... Ethanol " DOESN'T " draw water in to a " CLOSED " fuel system..... The " ONLY " problem with ethanol fuel is that older fuel systems are made of the wrong rubber compounds and brass parts in the carb / injectors ... Changing to stainless steel parts and the newer fuel lines fixes the problems of using Ethanol...

The cars that say " FLEX FUEL " are able to run the E-85 because the computer is able to adjust to the change in power output of the fuel...

And YES... Fiberglass makes a poor fuel tank for Alcohol based fuel storage....

Jim....

my wife works for a petroleum company they are replacing more underground fuel storage tanks than ever they contend its the ethanol in the fuel that rotted the metal ... i also have replaced the heads on 3 of my classic cars in the last 2 years even though they had hardens valve seats

I am sitting here LOL..... Ethanol " DOESN'T " draw water in to a " CLOSED " fuel system..... The " ONLY " problem with ethanol fuel is that older fuel systems are made of the wrong rubber compounds and brass parts in the carb / injectors ... Changing to stainless steel parts and the newer fuel lines fixes the problems of using Ethanol...

The cars that say " FLEX FUEL " are able to run the E-85 because the computer is able to adjust to the change in power output of the fuel...

Jim....

There is no such thing as a "closed" fuel system. They have to be able allow air in compensate for fuel-heat expansion and fuel use. This mean that ambient humidity CAN be absorbed by the alcohol molecules in the fuel. Marine environments make this problem even more pronounced.

Jim....

It is obvious that you are not a small engine mechanic.

Ethanol also eats up Fiber Glass gas tanks.

Chuck
It eats up Polyester resin fiberglass, but Isophthalic resin fiberglass is much more chemical resistant and is used now for fuel tanks and for fresh water tanks (FDA approved) since it doesn't break down and seep glycol.
Marine Vinyl Ester resin may work but I'm not sure. I know it's designed to be water proof to prevent bottom blistering, it's also three times stronger than polyester since the molecule structure is so much finer.

I sell ethanol based fuel at my cottages. We pump around 3000 gallons a season. We treat every gallon with Startron. If properly treated it helps, but, ethanol is a curse on all small engines and hoses. The way that it will assimilate water is amazing and the lack of power sucks. I try to run all the fuel out of any of my rentals that may be idle for a week or more. The only bright side to ethanol crap fuel is it cleans the carbs as it is used. Yeah, yeah, I know, small compensation for crap fuel!!!

It is obvious that you are not a small engine mechanic.

No... I'm not a " SMALL " engine mechanic... I'm a "MECHANIC" that works on " ANY " engine.. Gas, Diesel, and Exotic fuels like Nitro....

Suck, Squeeze , Bang and BLOW.... That's all you need to know....:wink: I find none of these problems with my 55' Bel-air , 74 chevy 3/4 ton pick-up , 1973 merc 55hp outboard, 1968 allis-chambers tractor (gas) , 79 triumph spitfire.... And never had a problem with my 56 Cessna 182 with burning 50/50 mix of 100ll and auto gas...

And I'm done here.... Jim....

No... I'm not a " SMALL " engine mechanic... I'm a "MECHANIC" that works on " ANY " engine.. Gas, Diesel, and Exotic fuels like Nitro....

Suck, Squeeze , Bang and BLOW.... That's all you need to know....:wink: I find none of these problems with my 55' Bel-air , 74 chevy 3/4 ton pick-up , 1973 merc 55hp outboard, 1968 allis-chambers tractor (gas) , 79 triumph spitfire.... And never had a problem with my 56 Cessna 182 with burning 50/50 mix of 100ll and auto gas...

And I'm done here.... Jim....

If in fact you are running those on pump ethanol you will eventually change your mind

This is a three year old thread but I am in a $hitty mood due to a poor result on a septic system inspection on a hose we are trying to sell. So you could say I am in a $hitty situation and my mood reflects this. Ethanol is not a problem in most cars because they are driven often enough to flush the fuel system of any water absorbed by the fuel. The problem we have with marine engines and gas powered tools is they sit sometimes for month on end with the fuel absorbing water as the the piece of equipment goes unused. One other issue with ethanol is there is a form of bacteria that will grow in it and clog up fuel filters, injectors and carburetors. This bacteria looks like whitish clear snot. So couple the issues with the fuel absorbing water, less power, and the clear snot I think we got the raw end of the deal on this whole ethanol thing. So we all need to start calling our congress representative and tell them we are done supporting the corn lobbyists. What I have started doing is using Cam-2 race fuel in anything that uses pre-mix, like chain saws, weed whackers and blowers. Cam-2 race fuel is available in the north east and is 104 octane ethanol free fuel, it is pricey about 75 cents more per gallon than 92 octane. I could not believe how crappy my equipment ran when I swapped over to this fuel, everything had to be leaned out as the ethanol free fuel has more power. Anything I own that runs regular fuel gets the standard 10% fuel but if it will be sitting for any length of time the fuel gets drained and Cam-2 run through it before it is put away. I worked at various GM dealerships for many years and we would see the ethanol issue in Corvettes every spring after the cars have sat for five month or so. I have had good luck with the Startron additive in the past but I have adopted a practice to fix the problem and not the result of the problem. So ethanol free is for me if it will be sitting idle for any length of time. A couple of years ago i was speaking to a one of our good customers at the Chevy dealer I was working for and he asked me how ethanol has been affecting our business? This man owns a small engine shop in town and has been a Stihl dealer for forty years or so. He stated that close to 2/3ds of his repairs now are due to ethanol fuel. one other thing with carburetor outboards is they are running learner if they were tuned for regular fuel. 2 strokes run great when they are lean, they tend to make more power just before they burn up. OK rant over , I think it's time for another drink.

You guy's know that Brazil is 100% ethanol fuel from sugar cane.... There is no " GAS " to run in their outboards, chain saws or weed whackers... Or cars... We also ran a AA dragster on 100% ethanol back in the 70's.... But you need to have the right parts to run it...

And just so you know... My 55 bel-air and Spitfire are parked in the shop from Oct to April and starts and runs fine every spring... The 74 chevy sits all summer as it's really just a snowplow truck... I do use Stable-lizer in the last tank of fuel and add a qt of Marvel to the tank every third time.... We have been on 10% ethanol for over ten years....

Jim...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom