• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Escaping Down Drafts

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by lermontov, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Kevrumbo

Kevrumbo Banned

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Here's a harrowing encounter with open water downcurrents, for a group of tech divers on doubles with what would seem to be plenty of breathing gas margin, and less dense "easy breathing" 18/45 trimix with a deep MOD (67m @ PO2 1.4) margin to fight or ride out a strong downdraft:

It turned out to be very treacherous encounter indeed --even as a planned technical dive prepared for & expecting currents as they did. . .

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
    kr2y5, VsubT and chillyinCanada like this.
  2. PeterNBiddle

PeterNBiddle Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Covered in depth here: current

Here's the original post, but there's more in the thread that's also worth reading, including other accounts from other divers on the same dive:

3. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Wow. Scary.

My experience was in Maldives. We weren't on the wall, it was a bad drop. Trying to fight our way forward in the oncoming current is when I realized what was happening. I felt fortunate that while it was a down current, it wasn't shoving us deep, though we were exceeding MOD. Those above us didn't seem to be affected. It took a few minutes to get sorted, especially getting my buddy's attention, all the while wondering if we'd get an oxtox hit.

I've no advice. We were in an open patch and we swam diagonally up and forward. No idea where we'd have ended up otherwise.

The currents in Maldives are ridiculous. I think I'm over that place. :)

Dizzi Lizzi and PeterNBiddle like this.
  4. CuzzA

CuzzA Solo Diver

Scary stuff, especially if you're not on a wall. I don't believe it has been mentioned and I failed to include it in my original post, but if you can't seem to halt the descent I think it's probably wise to dumb weights as well. I realize there's a high risk of injury from a rapid ascent, but I'd rather be rescued on the surface rather than recovered on the bottom or never recovered at all.

5. Dhboner

Dhboner DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Although I have never encountered a down current I have a personal rule that I won't dive any Nitrox mix on a dive where the hard bottom exceeds the MOD unless I have two independent buoyancy systems. Don't flame me, it is a personal decision, but on wetsuit dives along a wall where a loss of lift can potentially send me below the MOD of my back gas and ruin my day I dive air only. If I am dealing with a loss of buoyancy or a down current I don't need to add an O2 tox to my growing list of concerns.

6. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Dhboner, No reason for any flaming here. Though I rarely dive nitrox, this is exactly how I think.

Dhboner likes this.
  7. BCSGratefulDiver

BCSGratefulDiver Mental toss flycoon ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    How do you guys manage to dive walls that have a hard bottom below recreational depths? Some of the walls in places like Bunaken, Maldives, T&C, and even Cozumel extend well below ranges that would be safe on any breathing gas ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

chillyinCanada and Dhboner like this.
  8. OldPhotog

OldPhotog Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Thanks for that. It seems like a good guideline/rule to adopt.

Dhboner likes this.
  9. lermontov

lermontov Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    someone posted they take a pony with air to switch if they exceed MOD but i think its probably better to either avoid the area or stay on air not EAN- swapping bottles on a down draft is over taxing

Dhboner likes this.
  10. chillyinCanada

chillyinCanada Solo Diver Staff Member

Those of you limiting yourself to hard bottoms and air, may need to get out more and expand your diving horizons.

mmmbelows, Diving Dubai and BRT like this.