eRDPml PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You need to read the thread. It is an incorrect procedure for calculating a multilevel dive....you get the PG at the end of one level, assume SI=0, and start on another level.

I thought is was that but wasn’t sure. Thanks for the clarification.

Just want to close the loop on this. I found the DM eLearning from PADI to be very good after getting past the lack of an eRDPml. The content had only a small amount of repetition from the other PADI training I had taken and I enjoyed the philosophical detours (diving is an "experience") as well as the full customer-centric process that they try to teach. Overall my appreciation of PADI is much higher and I look forward to the practical part of the certification.

The instruction manual for the RDP makes it clear. RTFM.

Can you point out where in the manual this is made clear? I do not have the latest version so maybe it is in a more recent version. The only reference I see to multi-level is a mention that the wheel would provide more bottom time for ML dives.

shame Rubicon is down, the link you provided to the paper in the thread is not working...

Attachments

• RDP for Multi-Level Dives_AAUS1991_3.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 161
Can you point out where in the manual this is made clear? I do not have the latest version so maybe it is in a more recent version. The only reference I see to multi-level is a mention that the wheel would provide more bottom time for ML dives.
I've bolded a few critical words....
Note on page 4+6 the manual is for the RDP, not just the table version:
"The Recreational Dive Planner comes in two different forms, the Table version and The Wheel."​
Page 10, middle:
"It is unlikely that you would spend an entire dive at exactly one depth. When using the RDP Table for the purposes of calculation, you will use the deepest depth you reach during the dive, regardless of how long you actually remain at that depth."​
Page 24:
"So far, you’ve learned to use the table version of the Recreational Dive Planner to plan your first dive, your surface interval and your second dive."​
Page 32:
"Multilevel Diving — Planning profiles that credit you for slower nitrogen absorption when you ascend to a shallower depth. This provides more no-stop dive time. The Wheel version of the Recreational Dive Planner can be used for multilevel diving."​
Page 33:
"Surface Interval (SI) — The amount of time spent on the surface between two dives."
Note the manual defines Surface Interval as time at the surface, not time at depth between two segments of a dive.
If I handed you a tool box with various tools in it, and you asked which tool to use to drive a screw, I'd say, "use a screwdriver." I would not say, "don't use a hammer, don't use a wrench, don't use a sandpaper block, etc." Similarly, the RDP manual doesn't say, don't use the table for multi-level dives, it says, use the Wheel.

Please remember the purpose of a table: it is to tell you the maximum time you can spend at a given depth without the need for a decompression stop during the subsequent ascent to the surface. The table is calculated based on descent at a certain speed, max depth, and then ascent at a certain speed.

I'm sorry we are going to have to agree to disagree. PADI had/has the option of specifically mentioning multi-level in the actual RDP instructions and they did not do so, unless more recent versions include such info. The simple fact that surface intervals of zero are included in the table adds confusion IMO.

I did read the other thread when you posted it, as well as the Duis paper, and I completely agree with your interpretation of it. I'm not arguing that the table should be used for ML, I'm instead saying that PADI is unclear on guidance in that area. I admit my earlier statement that "the tables work..." was incorrect.

I'm sorry we are going to have to agree to disagree. PADI had/has the option of specifically mentioning multi-level in the actual RDP instructions and they did not do so, unless more recent versions include such info. The simple fact that surface intervals of zero are included in the table adds confusion IMO.

I did read the other thread when you posted it, as well as the Duis paper, and I completely agree with your interpretation of it. I'm not arguing that the table should be used for ML, I'm instead saying that PADI is unclear on guidance in that area. I admit my earlier statement that "the tables work..." was incorrect.
I'm sure there is some carry-over from earlier tables, where the concept of multi-level was never raised.
You CAN have a SI of zero......but it needs to be AT THE SURFACE for the table to be valid. Can that be any clearer?

Reactions: Zef
I'm sure there is some carry-over from earlier tables, where the concept of multi-level was never raised.
You CAN have a SI of zero......but it needs to be AT THE SURFACE for the table to be valid. Can that be any clearer?
I think a problem a lot of people have with this is that they tend to believe that all the decompression done on an NDL dive happens on the safety stop, and the ascent is just how you get to the safety stop so you can begin to decompress. If that is how you think of things, then the 0 minute surface interval with no ascent makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom