eRDPml PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 2021 does anybody still use any of this in real life rather than their computer or other planning software like multideco?

In 2021 does anybody still use any of this in real life rather than their computer or other planning software like multideco?
I'm not sure that is the point. Using the eRDPml, and plain old tables, for various dive problems is a training aid for the DM/instructor. It helps the learning, cements the concepts, is kind of satisfying, and the tables at least are real easy to have in the corner of a dive bag. Pretty much indestructible, batteries never run down, waterproof.I suspect there are fewer errors made using dive tables than there are using multideco. The nice thing is that you don't have to choose one over the other, and you can evolve to the fancier stuff as your career goes along.

tables are still great, I meant the padi-specific computer stuff.

tables are still great, I meant the padi-specific computer stuff.
The 5-ft increments and multi-level capability are quite nice. Having the eRDPml on my phone or multideco is about the same. Somewhere I still have the calculator...great example of being too late with a product.

Reactions: OTF
The tables work for multi-level. I agree knowing how to use the tables is great and honestly until this class I did not have them wired.

The tables work for multi-level. I agree knowing how to use the tables is great and honestly until this class I did not have them wired.
Without modification, the tables do NOT work for multi-level. Why do you think they do?

Going to play devil’s advocate. I support the use of the wheel / eRDPml for training DMs. Over the years I have noticed DM candidates, especially those who began their open water training within the last ten years really don’t understand NDL or how to use their computers and seem quite timid when they see other divers, including themselves, riding the deco-line (pushing the limits on the computer). Those who have tech training don’t have this issue. Many DMs and new instructors don’t even know how to find the dive planer on their computer let alone understand how to use it.

Learning AND understanding how the table work helps to give a much better understanding, especially planning and executing, the dive plan. When my DM candidates go through training I let them know ahead of time their last day of training with be as follows:
They must plan three dives using only tables, watches with bezels (I give them one and show them how to use it at the start of the three dives), and an analogue depth gauge, NO computer or digital depth gauge. The three dives must be made within a five hour time limit, including surface intervals. They must take into consideration the environment such as elevation, water temp, and movement. They must also plan the dive using SAC, which they were taught prior to the last day. They submit the plan showing the planned depth, time limits, how much gas, using rock bottom gas for both divers in the unlikely event of an emergency, and the size of tanks that are needed for each dive. In the end, the DMs have all come back stating they enjoyed planning and learning more about NDL as well as receiving the bezel watch as a gift for completing DM training.

While the Wheel (that is older) and the eRDPml are not used on an everyday bases, I support using them in DM training. Students who take the time to learn, comprehend, and actually use them on a series of dives tend to have a much better understanding of planning a dive and how their computer works. So, instead of griping, whining and crying about the multi-level tools, dip into and actually use them on a series of dives to gain some the valuable knowledge. Become the DM who knows and understands multi-level planning, how to use the available tools, and understand NDL.

Hmm maybe I don't know what "multi-level" means. The assessment had 1-2 questions that asked for the tables to be used, regarding dives of "x" minutes at "d1" depth and "y" minutes at "d2" depth (all in one dive). I used the tables and assumed a SI of zero to get to whatever the answer was. So there is no change in PG between levels.

I can't view the questions again until I re-take the assessment though so I am going on memory. I got all of the table-related questions right though.

Back
Top Bottom