eRDPml PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a problem a lot of people have with this is that they tend to believe that all the decompression done on an NDL dive happens on the safety stop, and the ascent is just how you get to the safety stop so you can begin to decompress. If that is how you think of things, then the 0 minute surface interval with no ascent makes sense.
LOL. If I think 2=3, and someone asks me what 1+2 is, and I answer 4, I guess my addition is fine,,,,it is my assumptions that are wrong.

Actually, I think it is worse than your statement. I think most people believe there is NO decompression on an NDL dive, including on the safety stop. I'm afraid NDL has confused people. which is why PADI now calls it No-Stop diving, which focuses on what you DO rather than on what the dive IS or ISN'T. I'm not a fan of renaming non-deco diving; my preference would be more understanding of "NDL," that the term refers to no mandatory decompression stops, but reminding divers that you must never-the-less get rid of the Nitrogen you've on-gassed during the dive. You do this by limiting your dive time (the NDL limit) and by slowly ascending (and off-gassing as the pressure is released on your body). The safety stop is an insurance policy, and is now recommended after every dive. It can't hurt, and may well help.

PADI loves to play word games. No-Stop instead of NDL. AOW. 60 ft/min.

Back
Top Bottom