equivalent measures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Easy conversion from someo e who currently lives in the UK, but whose spg is in psi: 750 psi is approximately 50 bar. Makes calculations on the fly dead easy

Close enough... but as someone who is forced by location and circumstances to "speak" both, I've found the only way to be fluent in either is to forget about conversions.

... Tank size measurement (80cft is 11 liter tank) is a bit trickier, but I'll catch up.
DivemasterDennis

That was 12! 80 cubic feet = 12 liter

Our (strap on and breath from) diving tanks are generally 10, 12, 15 or 18 liters, most commonly 12 L and 232 bar (i.e. 12 * 232 = 2784 liters).
I'm not talking about argon, pony, stage, etc-type tanks.
Bars (atmospheres, not drinking establishments) are really sweet for calculations.

Easier approximate conversion factors that you can do in your head and on-the-fly:

psi to bar: multiply by 2/3, and then divide by ten.
bar to psi: multiply by 3/2, and then multiply by ten.

3000psi is 200bar,
200bar is 3000psi.

Also:
feet to meters: multiply by 3/10
meters to feet: multiply by 10/3

60' is 18m,
18m is 60'.

Close enough... but as someone who is forced by location and circumstances to "speak" both, I've found the only way to be fluent in either is to forget about conversions.

Yeah, but that takes a LOT of time. I immigrated in 1977. Am now fluent in miles/kilometers without converting. Almost there with celsius. Those centimeters and killograms? As a native New Yorker would say, FUGHEDDABOUTIT.

Yeah, Yeah. We are inching out way towards it.
:spit: "We are centimetering our way towards it" just doesn't have the same impact, does it?

Yeah, Yeah. We are inching out way towards it.
Those 2 highway signs (one in NY, one in ME, and maybe a couple more) are still up since the Carter Admin. May as well ditch those for Pete's sake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom