equivalent measures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember as a schoolkid in the USA c. 1972 we were told the USA was starting a 10-year conversion to the metric system. They started going gangbusters on teaching us the metric system, movies, tie-ins to our normal subject etc. Km/hr was printed on the speedometers of all new cars and I think I might even remember some road signs with moth mph and kph (might have just been in the infomercials). Everything started moving forward just fine, then within a few years everything fizzled.
Every darn one of us has to learn some metric stuff for science classes, and many use metric measurements daily because of work or hobbies or both, but still we have to have inches, ounces (dry or fluid?), cups, quarts and even bushels. Very individualistic. Not terribly clever.
A whole new tower of Babel.

Last edited:
Many retailers don't want to go metric as it'd make comparative shopping too easy. Things we used to buy at the grocery like 1/2 gallon liquid laundry detergent, gallon jugs of laundry bleach, 3# can of coffee, etc. have been repackaged repeatedly to confuse buyers. Spirits & wines have been regulated to prevent that...
During the 1970s, there was a push for metrication of U.S. government standards. In 1975, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, in cooperation with the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, proposed six metric-standard bottle sizes to take effect in January, 1979,[8] and these standards were incorporated into Title 27 of the Code of Federal Regulations.[7] These sizes are 50, 100, 200, 375 (355 for cans), 500 (until June, 1989), 750, 1000, and 1750 mL.
Well, there is more to that story but I'll skip it. I have a few old wine bottles still measured in ounces, the oldest listing "one pint, 8 ounces."

I've noticed in diluting farm chemicals to yard use, when I try to explain liquid measurements to friends & family, they don't seem to understand.

Guys like taking the sizes in metric, girls in imperial ... :) at least what I have observed

Just remember, empty is empty, 0 PSI = 0 Bar and 10 of anything wont get you to the surface from 40M or 130ft

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom