Equipment repair classes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mph005

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone know if there's somewhere in Texas (preferably Austin) that offers equipment technician classes? I'm interested in things like regulator service and tank VIP, and others. I'm currently researching options on furthering my dive shop enjoyability, and looking into some of the larger places that offer the IDC, they also have some equipment classes, but I would prefer to stay as local as I can for most of the training.

As a simple suggestion. Interview local dive shops that you like and work for the shop that fits you the best. You are shifting from a student role into more of a leadership position.
Then when you have a shop picked out it makes the dive shop almost like home and you grow into the next phase of your learning.
Regulator classes are usually provided on a schedule from year to year. Senior staff will sometimes take someone in and teach them the basics. In my experience it comes every one to two years. Classes are a minimum cost. Dive shops who sell the same product locally usually get together and share a day with a factory rep who teaches group of people. Over time you will get chances to cover multiple product lines. Certain product lines are more complicated than others.
If possible when you find a shop see if you can start working with a staff member that will aid in mentoring you into the process.
The tank VIP process is a little different and a higher cost.
Also when you start working for most dive shops that you need to wear their gear- hence another expense.
Good luck on the process and enjoy the experience.
Regards, Andrew

I know that Tom's used to offer some classes for rec divers that gets more into the nuts and bolts of equipment, give them a call. Also, there was a thread earlier this year that Royal Scuba was offering a class on VIP's, you might give Nico a call and see what he offers. Let us know how it turns out. Repair tech seems to be a natural way to work your way into the business of diving.

BTW, both are in central Austin.

I don't know about Austin, but there was a place up in Plano that offered tech training. Their program was supposedly pretty intense and offered a general certification on all regs, not just specific makes.

You could call John Lindsey 512.257.2000 he has been doing servicing, repair etc for years and has quite an encyclopedic knowledge of equipment. Best of luck.

Anyone know if there's somewhere in Texas (preferably Austin) that offers equipment technician classes? I'm interested in things like regulator service and tank VIP, and others. I'm currently researching options on furthering my dive shop enjoyability, and looking into some of the larger places that offer the IDC, they also have some equipment classes, but I would prefer to stay as local as I can for most of the training.

What are your expectations from such a class? Employment? Access to parts and documentation? Knowledge about your gear? Be clear or you may be disappointed.

What are your expectations from such a class? Employment? Access to parts and documentation? Knowledge about your gear? Be clear or you may be disappointed.

Very good point:wink:. If you want to have a better understanding of how your equipment works, as well as how to do some preventive maintenance, an equipment specialty class is the place.

If you are looking to make yourself more employable by a dive shop, you want to learn how to repair regs and VIP tanks. Of course, you will need to learn the brands the particular shop carries. Not all shops offer the same brands.

If you want access to parts and documentation to service your own equipment, sorry, you have to work for a dive shop. We're not allowed to sell parts to the general public. Lots of discussion about that aspect of the business in other threads, but we have to honor our dealer agreements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom