Equipment Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic:
The reason most don't go e-tailer is because the manufacturers/distributors scare them into not doing it. I've talked to a couple of shop owners in SC AZ and all I hear is "so-so won't let us sell that for less". What they don't realize is that there are ways around that. :D
Agreed, what they should say is, "they won't let us sell that for less at our current purchase volume" which is the primary key. There is obviously a solution otherwise businesses such as TDL, scubatoys.com, scuba.com, divesports.com and others wouldn't be "Authorized" retailers and would be operating no differently than LP. Even at lower volume or restrictive manf. regs, as you pointed out there are ways around it in order to be successful. It just takes pulling the blinders off and a little forward thinking outside of the box, bend the rules but not break them. Eventually, the manufacturers will adapt, but by the time most shops try to jump on board it'll be too late for them, only the strong will survive and someone else will dream up a new and improved business model to get everybodys panties in a wad. Scuba survived without the LDS before and it may come full circle eventually in the non dive resort areas of the US like Arizona. I see clubs filling a large part of the void. IMO

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
Well no shops in Southern/Central (SC) Arizona compete with TDL in price, actually don't think anyone can compete with most of the gear they offer, including the big e-tailers.

Actually my usual LDS, SaguaroSports, quoted me the same price on the hoses as TDL or within a buck, but I was hoping to get the gear for a trip up north. The order/shipping time wouldn't have made it in time for me.

Saguaro is as close as I've found for click and mortar. The only downside is the extra day or two for the order to get processed. Otherwise, they match online prices and beat competitors by 5%. Can't ask for more than that. Now, it's a rush for me and/or they don't have it in stock, or some smoking deal (like those found from TDL/Divesports on SB from time to time) I'm taking my business to them.

I was aware of that, and was going to mention them, but forgot, it sounds good because they actually have a policy and stand by it, otherwise asking for a price match just feels like haggling with a Tijuana street vendor. The downside is, why would I order it at interent pricing from a shop and have to wait a couple extra days, might as well just order it myself. I wish their website was better, I don't even know what brands of gear they peddle, it's been under construction for awhile, so definitely not "click-and-mortar", but an option. I will have to check them out one day, I just don't go to the Eastside very often.

What kindof BP/W do they sell, I'd be interested in knowing...

-Garrett

shark.byte.usa:
I wish their website was better, I don't even know what brands of gear they peddle, it's been under construction for awhile, so definitely not "click-and-mortar", but an option. I will have to check them out one day, I just don't go to the Eastside very often.

What kindof BP/W do they sell, I'd be interested in knowing...

-Garrett

Yeah, the website isn't good for much more than an address and phone number. As far as brands, they carry mostly geneisis, sherwood and Diverite. Also, apollo, some oceanic, and the usual assortment of UK lights, Cetacea accessories, etc. They seem to order most anything though. For BP/W, I know for sure they have DR, as that's what I got from them. If you want an idea of price, go to diveriteexpress.com and take roughly 15% off.

the turnaround time is pretty quick on new orders so I can't complain. And one reason I'd order from them and sit the extra day or two and wait is for the free fills they give to divers. That's saved me enough- plus I haven't paid shipping on anything I've ordered- which adds up when using online shops after a while.

And I totally relate about not going to the opposite side of the valley- if it wasn't for Lake Pleasant and driving to Vegas/LA i wouldn't know the west side existed. :D

Free fills! How does that deal work? I may have to stop by there one day...

booth22:
Nope, this for an Aqualung Titan- which I did mention when asking for the hose. Nothing fancy here- so I called up the fellows at TDL and got my hose for around $25. :D

Wierd! Someone made a mistake... Gene's usually pretty competitive. Maybe the sales person looked up the wrong hose... who knows... but I don't think that they really charge that much for a basic 7 foot hose. I think we charge about 40 bucks for one at our shop... I would have to look it up but I'm pretty sure that's it. Maybe not that close to what TDL is letting theirs go for... but it ain't bad.

I'm curious... really... just curious... did you get anything else from TDL when you ordered your hose?

Stephen Ash:
Maybe the sales person looked up the wrong hose... who knows... but I don't think that they really charge that much for a basic 7 foot hose. I think we charge about 40 bucks for one at our shop...

I'm curious... really... just curious... did you get anything else from TDL when you ordered your hose?

Something weird happened, but it wasn't a usual sales person, it was the service tech from the repair/service area who quoted the price. I'm guessing he just goofed- $80 seems kinda strange..

And I did buy something else at TDL- 2 of those Z knives (they were half off and Saguaro doesn't carry them day to day)

Dive-aholic:
Free fills! How does that deal work? I may have to stop by there one day...

you bring in your empty tanks and they fill them :D (it's usually 2-3 fills per diver)

Stephen Ash:

$25 is TDL's regular price for long hoses. I bought 2 hoses beginning of the year for a little less. They were out of stock on black ones and had some yellow ones left over. They were for our teaching rigs, so I bought them. They buy lots of hose and get it for a great price. They give it right back to the customer.

BTW, register on their site and indicate you're an instructor and see what prices come up then...

Dive-aholic:
$25 is TDL's regular price for long hoses. I bought 2 hoses beginning of the year for a little less. They were out of stock on black ones and had some yellow ones left over. They were for our teaching rigs, so I bought them. They buy lots of hose and get it for a great price. They give it right back to the customer.

BTW, register on their site and indicate you're an instructor and see what prices come up then...

Oh I know, Rob. I've been with them since back in the day when they were... uh oh... dang it... I forgot.

... oh yah! Abyssmal!

Back
Top Bottom