equipment NEEDED for caving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most important thing needed for cave diving is TRAINING. The equipment is secondary and will vary a little depending on the training agency chosen.

brianstclair:
Bottom line is, to take a peek and see if you like it, you can get away without taking out a second mortgage. But God forbid you get addicted! I'm pretty sure there are crack addicts out there who spend less on their addiction...

I'm cavern certified and doing my intro class in two weeks. I'm still diving a single tank with a BC and my Light Cannon, and expect to be for a short while anyways, although my goal is to switch to doubles, a wing, and a nice canister light as soon as possible. But then, I've seen enough to know that I'm addicted.

Brian

Brian:
YA THINK??? :D :D :D :D :D

I would rather call it a passion than an addition...But , er , ... (nevermind)

Jeano Beano

P.S. And all this for a Bunch of Wet Rocks ... :11:

scubajoh44:
What "specialty" equipment is NEEDED for cave diving?
1) the right mentality
2) brains
3) a good instructor
4) some extra equipment compared to OW, but don't go overboard, for instance don't buy the biggest HID light you can find. My 10W still serves me well.

ciao, mart

I will be purchasing a 10W HID soon. I have found that I cannot communicate effectively inside a cavern with anything I have used in OW. This holds especially true when your team have the big lights but you have the less bright types.

i don't feel the split fins propel me as well when in high flow areas. i have to work harder to get where i want to be. i will also tape my straps.

take a look at this for starters: (Some of it is repeated at each level)

Cavern:
MINIMUM EQUIPMENT:
A. Mask, low volume type recommended.
B. Power fins-straps taped together, if applicable.
C. 72 cubic foot or greater single cylinder. Recommended: Single cylinder with dual valve orifice.
D. Single hose regulator with an octopus as the alternate air source and submersible pressure gauge.
E. Exposure suit, suitable for diving location.
F. Buoyancy compensator with auto inflator, C02 devices rendered inoperative.
G. Submersible dive tables or computer must be used
H. Knife, preferable small and sharp, or line cutter acceptable to instructor. (recommend two per diver)
I. Slate and pencil.
J. Watch or bottom timer and depth gauge. A dive computer may be used in place of these.
K. Weight belt or other instructor approved weights.
L. Battery powered dive lights, at least two per diver. These lights should a suitable burn time for
the dive being planned.
M. Minimum of one safety reel per diver. (Second safety reel recommended ie spool)
N. One primary reel per team.

Intro:

MINIMUM EQUIPMENT:
A. Minimum 72 cubic feet gas with dual outlet valve.
B. Mask, low volume type recommended.
C. Power fins, with straps taped together, if applicable.
D. Suitable tank harness.
E. Two single hose regulators, one with five (seven foot strongly recommended) foot hose, one
with submersible pressure gauge attached. Some recognized method of securing the seven
foot hose must be provided. Octopus inflation system is not allowed.
F. Exposure suit, suitable for diving conditions.
G. Buoyancy compensator with auto inflator. (C02 emergency inflation devices must be rendered
inoperative) Back mount BC is highly recommended, but not required.
H. Submersible dive tables or computer must be used.
I. Slate and pencil.
J. Knife, preferable small and sharp, or line cutter acceptable to instructor. (recommend two per diver)
K. Watch or bottom timer and depth gauge. A dive computer may be used in place of these.
L. Three lights per diver.
I. A primary light with an illumination and burn time sufficient for the dive being undertaken.
II. Two backup lights. The backup lights should have a suitable burn time for the dive being planned
M. One primary guide reel per team and at least one safety reel per diver. (recommend two safety reels per diver)
N. Line arrows or line clips, minimum of three per diver.

Apprentice/Full cave

MINIMUM EQUIPMENT:
A. Double tanks are mandatory, minimum volume 142 cubic feet, manifolds are recommended.
B. Mask, low volume type recommended.
C. Power fins with straps taped, if applicable.
D. Suitable tank harness.
E. Two single hose regulators, one with a seven foot hose, one with submersible pressure gauge attached. Some recognized method of securing the seven foot hose must be provided.
F. Exposure suit suitable for the diving environment.
G. Buoyancy compensator with auto inflator. (CO2 emergency inflation devices must be rendered
inoperative.) A back mounted BC is highly recommended, but not required.
H. Dive computer and backup dive computer or bottom timer and depth gauge and submersible dive tables.
I. Slate and pencil.
J. Knife, preferably small and sharp, or line cutter acceptable to the instructor. (recommend two cutting devices)
K. Three lights per diver:
I. A primary light with an illumination and burn time sufficient for the dive undertaken.
II. Two backup lights with suitable burn time for the dive undertaken.
L. One primary guide reel per team and at least one safety reel per diver. Specific dive planning will dictate additional reels required for executing jumps and gaps.
M. A minimum of three directional markers and one non-directional marker per diver.

You gotta love that sacrafice...Ramen noodles and no new clothes for the kids. LMAO!!!! ROFL!!!!

Angie Gudmon:
You gotta love that sacrafice...Ramen noodles and no new clothes for the kids. LMAO!!!! ROFL!!!!
I thought that was normal. :06: No wonder my kids give me the stink-eye when I mention getting some new gear. Ungrateful little punks. :wink:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom