Equipment in China

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nautica

New
Reaction score
Hey, guys, I'm new to the boards (1st post, actually), and I have a question for you: I'm leaving for China in 2-1/2 weeks, and while I'm there, I thought about picking up some (hopefully) discounted equipment. So, 1) is that a good idea? I figure that I'll be safe if I decide to pick up some fins or a snorkel, but should I be worried about the quality of some or most of BCDs? Also, 2) has anyone done this before? I'll be going to Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong. Any recommendations?

I've seen Gucci bags and Rolex watches for $20. Looked quite real. Most likely dive gears are the real deals. But can you really risk factory seconds and rejects being sold on the black market? Certainly you can save $100-200. Fins and snorkels can't kill you. I'm sure the moulds are plentiful there. But a BC or reg? I think I would buy a dive computer if it were a good deal - electronics are all the same on the inside. But hard to test it unless it were in a pool. Would be bad if it read 20 ft off, or all the programmings are in japanese, right?

The issues here is that the wetsuits, BC's, regs, etc are made in the same factory and using the same moulds as the name brand. But did they pass inspection? How do you know that they are not rejects? I know that in the computer industry, some bad companies have put higher clock speed on microprocessor, and it overheat them and shortened their life. Would you want that to happen to your dive computer, reg, or BC?

Having lived in China myself and have been to black markets and "regular" stores you will know the knock-offs and know if the quality is worth it. Your safety I mean, most are not. Saying that if you do find something good I would get it.

Good luck and safe travels!!

If I were you I would stick to only buying gear that is 100% manufactured and assembled in the USA, why risk your life with some cheap crap from a communist country?

:D:D:D:D

If I were you I would stick to only buying gear that is 100% manufactured and assembled in the USA, why risk your life with some cheap crap from a communist country?
Ahhum... I'll bet most of our wetsuits, fins, and BC's are either made in China, assembled in China, or most parts made in China and assembled in the US. I don't think we have much choices in electronics like dive computers.

i know a independant dive club in sydney that often gets "specials" from chinese factories at a 1/4 of the cost we pay here (drysuits, bcd and even inflatables)

they are usually unbadged but the guys are happy with what they got for the price paid

cheers

I agree with that stance on China by dumpster diver, they do make allot of bad products. Low quality control. Look at all the recalls on cheap toys. I disagree with the Chinese governments stance on everything, they are just wrong. That is MTC

But most wetsuits and lot of scuba equipment you buy are made in Thai and Taiwanese. Allot of scuba companies have their product made by factories in Thailand and Taiwan. IST Sport makes product for allot of the brands we know, and they are in Taiwan. So you still can get good scuba product at an affordable price. Remember South East Asia has great diving, and not all US brands are there, so the products form IST and other are good gear. At a good price. Just shop around there are tons of options out there.

Getting a little political here are we? I know several people from China, and although a communist government is not for me, even Mao made some good decisions (such as gender equality). That is not to say there isn't shoddy stuff out there... the toy recalls certainly attest to that. However, I'm sure if you look at the tags or manufacturer's markings on a lot of SCUBA-related products you would certainly see a mix of China, Thailand, Taiwan, etc.

Ahhum... I'll bet most of our wetsuits, fins, and BC's are either made in China, assembled in China, or most parts made in China and assembled in the US. I don't think we have much choices in electronics like dive computers.

May I suggest that most of what you mentioned is made in Taiwan which is not part of China.

Getting a little political here are we? I know several people from China, and although a communist government is not for me, even Mao made some good decisions (such as gender equality). That is not to say there isn't shoddy stuff out there... the toy recalls certainly attest to that. However, I'm sure if you look at the tags or manufacturer's markings on a lot of SCUBA-related products you would certainly see a mix of China, Thailand, Taiwan, etc.

My parents are originally from China, their gender equality is good, but it was not chairman Mao idea. Historically have always had allot of rights, in a typical chinese family the mother reals the power in the home. The limit a family to one child, so allot of baby girls do get killed not a good thing. My parent told my wife that we should not waste our vacation to visit China, because it is a ecological nightmare happening as we speak. An as long as the US and the rest of the world keep buying cheap chinese good, they really have no insentive to be more eco correct.

We will not be able to eliminate Chinese products form because some parts will be assembly there, but I try to buy stuff that are made by their competition such as Taiwan and Thailand even though they have chinese parts. On wetsuit, you can by all Thai. So I do what I can to help lower the eco impact of china. Just MTC, :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom