Equipment for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dissaster

Reaction score
I´m just finishing my Open Water lessons, and i´ve been wondering, should I buy equipment now, or shoud I rent it at least at the begining? And if I should buy it, I can´t afford to buy it all at once, so what would be better to buy first, the fins, mask and snorkel, the BC, the regulator??? And also, would it be worth to save money (renting equipment while I save it) and buy some fancy high quality equipment, or to buy something cheaper, with less quality but more affordable just to start diving, and then when i´m more experienced buy better equipment.

And (lastly) what equipment (type and brand) would you recommend to buy to a begginer diver?

Thank you all

I would buy stuff in this order. Buy the stuff that you want and don't buy cheap/cut corners just so you can get it all at once. If you buy the cheap stuff, you'lll just eventually replace it and regret buying it in the first place (this is true for stereo equipment and computer equipment as well).

1. Mask - I would want one that fit and I had experience clearing, etc.

2. Mouthpiece and boots - It's just me, but I don't typically like mouthpieces other than the comfo bite ones and I don't relish the thought of sucking on something without knowing the previous user(s). Same with boots.

3. Regulator (First, second, octo, & SPG minimum) - You know where it's been, when's its been serviced, who serviced it, etc. I rented equipment in the past, and I never had any problems, but its a solid fact that rental equipment doesn't alwas get treated very well. Don't spend much on an SPG (used if possible), since you may replace it when you get a computer (console, AI, etc.)

4. Fins - Important, but not tops on my list. If you rent, you can probably try out some different types of fins to determine what you like, what gives you leg cramps, etc.

5. Computer - Take some time with this one. Figure out if you like a console (with or without air integration) or a wrist mount. Personally, I would buy one with Nitrox capability even if you expect to dive air for the rest of your life. It's not a big cost difference, and you can always use a Nitrox computer to dive air.

6. BC/weightbelt - You might want to buy a nice weightbelt earlier if you are diving in warm water where you don't have a lot of suit to protect you from the ridiculously rough webbing common on those rental weightbelts. Don't buy too much BC for the things you do. If you are diving in the tropics with no more than 2-3 mil wetsuits, don't let someone talk you into buying a BC with a 40lb lift. It'll pack bigger and just be harder to deal with underwater. A good choice might be a system utilizing different size bladders depending on conditions (Zeagle, OMS, Dive-Rite, Halcyon, etc.). That way you can set up your BC depending on the type of diving you are doing.

7. Snorkel - Buy it only if you really think you'll use it and buy the cheapest one that you can find. Mine sits in the closet.

As far as manufacturers, I don't think there is a lot of bad equipment out there. What brands does your LDS carry? Online equipment is usually quite a bit cheaper, but I believe for your first purchases, you should try to work with your LDS, since you've got someone to help you out with the learning curve and suggest all the little pieces (lights, knives, slap strap, sausage, and on and on and on). Tell them what prices you find online, and hopefully they'll work with you. If not, buy somewhere else, or online.

Personally, I like Zeagle for BCs, Oceanic and Mares for regs/fins/masks, and Suunto and Oceanic for computers. If you 've been here long though, you know that everyone has an opinion.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Good equiptment really does not cost any more than bad equiptment...actually, it often costs less. Buy good equiptment the first time and be done with it.

Get the basic gear first: Mask, Fins, etc. You can add the more expensive componets such as regs and BC later as money allows.

As for brands, I like Halcyon for BCs. For regs, fins and mask, I like ScubaPro. Apex regs are ok too but I like ScubaPro better.

There are many ways to look at this question, and it really depends on the approach you plan to take in diving.

First off, if there is a chance that the LDS has different makes and styles of BC's, try to dive all of them a couple of times first. The BC you think you like when you first start diving might not be the one you like with 30 or 40 dives under your belt.

Speaking of belts, get a BC that has intergrated weights, with BUCKLES not velcro to hold the pouch in place. THe velcro will degrade with time and could fail, sending you to the top way too early.

I guess it all depends on how you buy anything, I dont buy cars without a test drive, and Ill usually feel out a few of them before I actually buy one. Same with my dive gear. The easy part is mask and fins..........they arent nearly as important to safety as BC's, regs, and computers.

While youre "testing" BC's and the like, go ahead and get the mask that fits well and provides you the best range of vis. You can buy the fins and boots around the same time, I use strapped twin jets.........I just dont like full foot fins. My boots have a felt sole, that makes it nicer for walking on slippery rocks and coral for beach dives.

Another thing to consider is: Where do you plan to take the diving experience? I mean, are you just gonna tool around at 60 feet, or are you going to take it further? Important questions when you consider which equipment has the ability to do both to the greatest extent.

Finally, take your time.............I didnt really know what I wanted, much less what I needed when I had 6 dives under my belt. There is something to be said for the stability and comfort ones own gear provides.

I personally dive Scubapro BC (knighthawk) and reg (MK25 S600), an Oceanic Nitrox capable computer (Atmos2 or maybe pro), a mask that fits well (i think its a deep blue), and scubapro twin jets (gray, not black.......blacks are stiffer, i perfer the control i get from grays), and a 3 mil shorty.

maybe that helped

tiny bubbles

Buy the basics. Rent the rest. Keep reading. Try the gear out as much as you can, even if it means going from one LDS to another.

Don't choose your gear based on price. Buy what you like. If you can't afford what you like, keep renting.

Buy the basic gears first.

Mask: make sure it fits comfortable, no make or model in
particular.

Snorkle: if can, skip it, unless you want to do some snorkeling sometimes in between dives.

Boot: just a simple one will do, also depends if your diving is cold water or warm water.

Fins: Get the best one that you can afford, or you can rent and test a few out first before buying them.

Weight belt: Just the belt will do. No need to get those with fancy pockets. You might want to decide on this later if the BC that you are going to get is weight intergrated or not.

Regulator: This should be your first investment in the more important gears (BC, Dive Comp). Nothing much that you can test out for the regulators except for the mouth piece, but you can change them to other kind that you like better. Again, buy the best ones that you can afford.

BC: Rent a few different designs and see which ones you like best. Jacket style, back inflation, or backplate styles.

Dive Comp: If not necessary, no need to buy them. It all depends on what kind of diving you are in.

I myself only buys my gears after 3 years of diving, but I am not a frequent diver. Till now ( I am in Search and Resue), I haven't see the needs to buy a dive comp in my areas of diving.

You can read up reviews on www.scubadiving.com for all the gears. That is where I got most of of my info from before buying my gears. Also check out www.leisurepro.com for prices

Hope this helps

If you intend to do more than 20 dives in your life you are well on your way to paying for your own gear. There is nothing like owning your own gear. From a safety, sanitary, and comfort perspective what more can I say?

My prefered order of gear purchase.

Mask - - Don't skimp. Doesn't have to be expensive, but it needs to fit like a glove. If you can't see underwater, why are you there to begin with? If you paid $60 for a mask/fins/snorkel set from Costco, think of trying again.

Booties/Fins - - Get booties suited to the water temp you will be in 3mm or 5mm. Don't get talked into full foot fins unless you exclusively intend on diving from tropical boats. Split fins give better propulsion, but you loose manueverability and the ability to frog kick. Test a pair of split fins extensively before you decide to drop the $180 on them.

Wetsuit - - Do you insist on clean sheets when you go to a hotel room? Would you sleep in someone else's bed? Why would you wear someone else's wetsuit. Enough said.

Computer - - If you intend on doing tropical / resort diving this is my next item of choice. Rarely do people carry tables and do dive plans on a resort boat. There is a lot of 'Trust Me' profiles going on out in the world. Sheild yourself from most of this by getting a reliable computer (Suunto's are my choice). If you want to upgrade to smaller / nitrox / mixed gas later look at E-baying your start-up computer.

Regulator - - By this point you should know the type of diving you are going to do. DON"T SKIMP. If you go with a top line brand you may very well have that reg for the next ten years. Buy good stuff, have it serviced regularly. The total cost of ownership is pretty low if you use it for a decade or more of service.

BC - - Needs to be matched to your diving. It is SO NICE to know where everything is clipped and what is in which pocket. It is like wearing a 5 year old pair of jeans. Try a few out before you buy one cold. I hate having to put on rental stuff for classes.

Snorkel - - Last on this list. Buy one that is brightly colored so your instructor knows you are wearing one from 30' away. Also if you decide to use it as a pry-bar underwater or throw it at someone on land it is easy to spot again.

Snorkel - - Last on this list. Buy one that is brightly colored so your instructor knows you are wearing one from 30' away. Also if you decide to use it as a pry-bar underwater or throw it at someone on land it is easy to spot again.

This made me LOL! nice advice all.

Mask, "snorkel" and fins are considered your personal equipment, Most trainers insist you have there couple things before they will teach you.

personally, wetsuit would be next, I can imagine being in a suit, some random person may have been naked in, or peed in, and then hung back up for the next guy(gal)

Mask, "snorkel" and fins are considered your personal equipment, Most trainers insist you have there couple things before they will teach you.

personally, wetsuit would be next, I can imagine being in a suit, some random person may have been naked in, or peed in, and then hung back up for the next guy(gal)

Dr...Trying to decide what is next, and an exposure suit is on the top of it. You are correct that the basic equipment was needed, and part of the package my wife and I received when we signed up for classes. Working with my DS, who has been very helpful. Since I am progressing on to Advanced, and Rescue this summer, I have decided to get my own gear and they are working up a package based on the area we dive, and my budget. Even they said exposure suit is next. I liked the Hendersons I rented and they fit well. The only choice at this point is either the H2 or Aqua Lock suit. Up here in the NE of the US, we require a 7mm suit. I know little about wetsuits other than what I have read on ScubaBoard.com and the various other websites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom