equipment brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JD.Gattis:
I would like to have my stuff be all the same brand (ex. cressi)

It sounds like a good idea but isn't as applicable for dive gear as for other types of equipment. Your wet suit doesn't depend on your BC to be functional. Even the ease of servicing isn't a big deal. Chances are you LDS sells and services more than one brand anyway. If you really want to know why most divers mix it up, start with ScubaPro equipment as a basis. I suggest SP only because they are definitely able to outfit you head to toe. Walk into the SP dealer, let them pick you out some good stuff: top of the line BC, reg and octo, Uwatec computer, wet suit, mask, fins, weights, etc. Every thing will have the same logo on it. When they hit you with the bottom line you'll see why a lot of divers buy different pieces at different times from different manufacturers.

The only time that matching certain things becomes important is when you are dealing with regulators. While you don't necessarily need the same brand in first and second stages, these will usually work together quite well and are designed to be used together. So long as your LDS technician knows the specs of the regulators, even then, you can still mix and match.

Everything other than regulators does not matter. Even with regulators, you can mix and match if you know the specs. For all other equipment, go with the best individual piece.

Me too.. Bare, UK, Aeris, Apeks, Halcyon, EVO, ScubaPro, Abyss, Sherwood.

Whatever you feel comfortable with, and is affordable to you.

Most dive gear, including tec gear is made by a small group of manufacturers and sold to companies to apply their names and minor modifications to.

The easiest is example split fins: the Atomic Aquatics split fin and the TUSA split fins are both made by a company named Nature's Wing (look on the bottom side of both brand of fins and check it out for yourself.)

Although it's not that obvious on most equipment, do the research for yourself, it's out there. The worst thing to do is ask someone that is not informed - ie. a salesman trying to sell you off on one particular brand of equipment or another.

Unless you are a company rep for one of the companies that require you to have everyting matching and they're going to furnish it to you...you get the drift

Dive Safe ! ! !

Kestrell:
I'm pretty mixed up too. Atomic, Zeagle, UK, Henderson, Dacor, Mares, Aeris Suunto, Cressi, Manta.

It is fine to mix and match, just make sure your LDS is able to service any gear that requires it, like BC and regulator.

I just bought gear myself, and it is pretty mixed up. The only thing that is all the same is the regulator/secondary air setup. I agree with the earlier poster that keeping these the same is a good idea. Other than that, I tend to like Dacor masks, oceanic snorkels, etc....but that is all a personal preference issue. Just make sure what you buy fits you and your type of diving, and you will be happy.

I think that the only thing that I would try to keep the same is my regs for sure and try for a BCD. That way when it comes time for your annual service, you can do it all in a one shot deal and not have to worry is certain dealers support that make.

Mix it up. It's the only way to get the best of what you want.

I'm Scuba Pro, Halcyon, Oxycheq, OMS, DUI, Terkel, PST and that doesn't even go into the backup gear that I have.

overexposed2X:
Mix it up. It's the only way to get the best of what you want.

I'm Scuba Pro, Halcyon, Oxycheq, OMS, DUI, Terkel, PST and that doesn't even go into the backup gear that I have.
oooooooooooo goodie! Are we gonna play the name game?

Scubapro - regs
Halcyon - maybe wing?
Oxycheq - backplate harness and maybe wing
OMS - stage bottle with regs?
DUI - suit obviously
Terkel - Light
PST - tanks

Back
Top Bottom