Equip rental vs bringing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy Ralph

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
got a 1 day cruise layover in Coz next month. Naturally going to get a couple dives in. Rental equip is $10 for BC/reg/comp or $18 for everything (including suit). Any sense in bringing any of my own equip at that low rate? Or do most of you prefer to bring your own gear regardless of the price or L.O.S.? I'm thinking $18 for the day beats the heck outta lugging/washing my own stuff, as much as I love my gear.

I'm going to be on a cruise next spring and will be bringing my own gear. But that's a trip with several days of diving.

Are you doing any snorkeling? You might want some of your gear for that.

Beyond that, consider whether you're hard to fit, and how picky you are about gear.

I've gone on a few non diving vacations with my non diving wife and will usually go on one dive while she's at the spa. I will rent all my gear with the exception of my computer, mask, SMB and spool. If I have room and am planning on more than one dive then I might bring my fins, but usually don't.

I think you answered your own question. for one maybe two dives, I'd be renting and only bringing mask, fins, and snorkel (and maybe not even fins)

i recommend at least take your wet suit.....never know who used the rental before you...

I think you answered your own question. for one maybe two dives, I'd be renting and only bringing mask, fins, and snorkel (and maybe not even fins)
Agree. If I were doing 1-2 tropical dives I may throw in my body suit (rash guard, whatever), as it takes up very little space. Oh, and the reef gloves.

For 1 day of diving, this is a no brainer - rent. Or just snorkel...

We went on few Caribbean corporate boondoggles in the last few years and we always got excited about doing a few dives. But then we did our research and just took snorkels and mask...

If you are only doing 1 or 2 dives there is no need for a wetsuit. If you are stuck doing cattle boat cruise ship dives, then skip it and snorkel...

For 1 day of diving, this is a no brainer - rent. Or just snorkel...

We went on few Caribbean corporate boondoggles in the last few years and we always got excited about doing a few dives. But then we did our research and just took snorkels and mask...

If you are only doing 1 or 2 dives there is no need for a wetsuit. If you are stuck doing cattle boat cruise ship dives, then skip it and snorkel...

Not going through the ship - booked my own trip with Deep Blue. Water will be 79 so a shorty may be in order. Thanks for all the tips. Will rent and bring my own shorty!

Not going through the ship - booked my own trip with Deep Blue. Water will be 79 so a shorty may be in order. Thanks for all the tips. Will rent and bring my own shorty!
For 1 dive in 79 degree I would skip the wetsuit based upon the hassle of dragging a wet stinking pile of gloop and trying to dry it on the boat.

I guess you can also just use a T shirt, as some do. Not as hard to get dry, or put in a plastic bag for travel. I've often used my shorty in the ocean, but you may get your legs scraped. My body suit covers all.

Back
Top Bottom