Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMHeimer

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dartmouth,NS,Canada(Eastern Passage-Atlantic)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone else do this? I can equalize without swallowing, moving the jaw, etc.--most times. What I do is something inside my ears. Like, when you yawn, at the "apex" of the yawn something cracks a little in your ear. I have found a way to access this and make my eardrum sort of "suck in" if you will. This equalizes. I also do this when,say,on a plane, or if I am walking on the street and a big noisy truck or machine is passing me--It's like sticking your fingers in your ears to plug them, whithout actually using fingers. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I'd say this is the norm. It is just that you only hear about folks who have problems clearing.

Sounds to me that positioning the eustatian (sp?) tubes to open up a bit more, which equalizes the pressure across the eardrum.

Prevention of Middle Ear Barotrauma Is that what you mean? 'Voluntary Tubal Opening'

Anyway, that is how I equalise. Occasionally I need to use another technique like swallowing or yawning but usually I just wiggle my ears and they equalise. I find the Valsalva technique much too forceful so try to avoid it.

It all depends on how my sinuses are doing. Occasionally I equalize without knowing it

You have to have pretty patent Eustachian tubes to do this. I wish I could.

in my dreams!
I have to hold my nose and push with nearly everything I have. Sometimes air escapes form my eyes before my ears clear. And more recently I read somewhere that using the pinch nose technique (the only method that works for me) can put stress on your heart.

And more recently I read somewhere that using the pinch nose technique (the only method that works for me) can put stress on your heart.

Everything puts stress on your heart. Having said that, any stress put on by nose clearing should be irrelevant... if one is having to worry about this level of cardiovascular stress, then that person has NO business sucking on a reg in the first place.

in my dreams!
I have to hold my nose and push with nearly everything I have. Sometimes air escapes form my eyes before my ears clear. And more recently I read somewhere that using the pinch nose technique (the only method that works for me) can put stress on your heart.

You may be waiting too long to clear. Clearing more often usually makes this easier.

I too clear without pinching, most of the time. If I wait too long, I have to pinch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom