Equalizing tank pressure at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, well I can see that this idea was not a very good one. Although it works on the surface in dry conditions I can see how doing this underwater using SCUBA gear would be a major problem.
Thanks for reading the post and commenting. So much for my million dollar idea! hahahaha!

Traumadiver, don't give up. . . bringing new ideas into a new application is how most great "inventions" happen. You are a paramedic, help come up with an idea for keeping medical supplies dry. I was an EMT and soaked almost as many dressings around the water, as I used. 4x4's, roller gauze, even bandaids are contaminated when wet. I've tried the "waterproof" boxes, and large zip locks and sooner or later I'm throwing out wet materials. . . so much for dive buddies that look for the cleanest spot to throw their weight belts, wet suits and once even dead fish.

I reduced the volume of what I carry and put everything in a welders, welding rod case. It is strong plastic, with a rubber gasket seal and has not leaked in use for over 20 years. However, It's limited to a couple of roller gauze rolls, a package of 4x4's, a few 2x2's, and used most often lots of 1" bandaids.

Turn your inventiveness to find protection from water for more trauma equipment. Remember, if it looks like a clear spot on the deck, your dive buddies will throw something at it. Don't give up because some on the board won't agree. . . just keep trying to teach the "savages". Just remember, if everyone were as careful as you. . . you would be out of a job.

Consumers were victimized during the "SPG-War," and that's what motivated the "Snap-Tite" concept:

TRITON_Hose_Snap.jpg

Because the dive industry had polarized during the "SPG war," some felt that switching air hoses underwater fixed a great lapse in safety, from the late 1950's through 1976.

The original patent for the reserve valve, what would later be called the "J-valve," was assigned to L'Aire Liquide (Cousteau's father-in-law was on their board of directors). Actually, the real motivation behind designing the reserve-valve had nothing to do with diving. But those facts are for another time. Many thought the concept of a reserve valve, known to be unreliable, was dumb for recreational diving. Later reserve-valve patents acknowledged that leaky poppets and bad springs could cause diver fatalities, as could diver inattention if an errant piece of kelp or fishing line pulled the reserve-valve rod down (reserve-available position).

To fix this dangerous situation, a very clever and safety-conscious diver made an adapter, so an air gauge could be instantly retrofitted onto any brand of regulator using what today we call a "banjo."

SeAir_Buckle_Ad.jpg

The story of how US Divers, Inc. took control of the SPG patent is also for another time. But they did. So only US Divers stores could sell SPGs; and they priced SPGs high because they could - they owned the patent.

All non US-Divers stores were stuck selling "J-valves." This arrangement gave US Divers virtual control over the air in every diver's tank, unless you knew your SAC rate and had a reliable watch and depth gauge. The reserve-valve patent gave US Divers tremendous sway over tank manufacturers, who had no demand from non-US Divers stores for tanks with simple on / off valves.

The entire industry adopted the SPG "overnight" when its patent expired in 1976. All agencies required students to use SPGs in class. Today, J-valves make sense for first-responders and commercial divers in zero-viz (i.e. when you cannot read an air gauge).

:thumb: Oh, and that "pelican-hook" style "SafeDive" wire belt buckle in the ad right above? It was invented by the same guy who invented the SPG as we known it today. Even in 2009, wire buckles have superior safety advantages, albeit they take more time to properly set the desired length. Once that's done, these wire buckles (A) maintains the same length when hooked, (B) have great holding power, (C) don't come loose on their own (no dangling "ears" to catch) and, (D) open easily with less coordination than what's required of size-squeeze buckles.

Tragedies continue as victims cannot release weights from their weight-integrated BCs (design of dive gear is entirely unregulated in the USA). To paraphrase George Santayana: "Those who cannot remember the past condemn others to repeat it!"

I want a Snap-Tite installed in my fluffy navel.....just like the guy in the picture!!!!

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom