Equalizing Ears Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlowHole

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new to this board. I'll be taking my OW class in February in Monterey. I was reading my PADI OW manual in advance of my first class and had a question about equalizing. The manual states that inorder to equalize, pinch nose, close mouth, and lightly blow againt the inner ear. If I close my mouth am I holding my breath as well? Or will I let out a small amount of air through my mouth? I've been reading this board for a while now and I've learned a lot. Thanks for the info.

I could be wrong on this, BUT... I don't think the 2 seconds it takes to equalize would be considered holding your breath.

Wait for other replies before taking my word for it... I'm about as far as you are in the program!

Good luck on your OW certification!

:hi: First, welcome to the board and congrats on choosing to learn to dive.

The method you are describing is the Valsalva Manuever. What you are trying to accomplish is to momentarily force open the Eustachian Tube so that pressure can equalize.
:teach:
To perform the Valsalva Manuever, pinch your nose closed, close your mouth and very briefly hold your breath as you gently "blow." Your cheeks should puff out and hopefully you will feel your ears pop.

I have had success with this while still letting a small amount of air escape through my nose, not my mouth.

It is very important to blow gently. If your ears do not equalize readily, ascend a few feet and try again. Do not "force it." Performing a Valsalva Manuerver too forcefully can seriously injure the ear by rupturing the round window. Such damage may result in permanent hearing loss. ;-0

Practice performing this manuever on the surface, and equalize early and often while descending.

You would be holding your breath for a very brief period on descent so it would not be a problem. Holding your breath on ascent is much more dangerous. I clear my ears by moving my lower jaw back and forth while descending instead of pinching my nose. It's an aquired skill but very helpful.

Scott

HI BH,

First, welcome to the board, please feel free to ask away, there are alot of experienced people and instructors here. Now your question. You do hold your breath in a way and you don't blow any air out your nose or mouth. It' kind of hard to explain but not hard to do once you get the idea. You block off your throat and put a LITTLE air pressure on your ear drums. Move and flex the muscles in your neck and jaws until you find what works best for you. It helps to go ahead and practice on land, it actually gets easier with practice. If you do it correctly, your ears will pop, just like going down a mountain or in a plane. When equalizing your ears in a real dive, be sure to start early and equalize very often and never force it. If you have gotten to the point it hurts (and believe me IT WILL hurt) you have gotten too deep and need to go back up several feet and start again. I actually equalize almost constantly the entire way down to the bottom. There have been a lot of discussions on this board over the years, do a search on the board and look for other discussions on equalizing.

Again, welcome aboard.

Thanks folks for your great replys. This website is very helpful. I've found that yawing receives the pressure in my ears when I drive up to Lake Tahoe. Is it possible to yawn underwater with your mouth closed to equalize? Thanks for answering my questions! I'm sure I'll figure it out once I begin diving, for now I'm just curious.

Originally posted by BlowHole
Thanks folks for your great replys. This website is very helpful. I've found that yawing receives the pressure in my ears when I drive up to Lake Tahoe. Is it possible to yawn underwater with your mouth closed to equalize? Thanks for answering my questions! I'm sure I'll figure it out once I begin diving, for now I'm just curious.
I find that yawning is the only method by which I can clear my ears when flying (or driving to altitude). But I have yet to be able to produce a yawn under water....

Yawning will probably do the job on the way up. On the way down, you will probably have to equalize by blowing when holding your mouth and nose closed. This is the way with most people, although some can even equalize, ap or down, by just moving their jaw.

Anyway, you'll find out soon enough what is the best way for you.

And don't worry, you will probably not blow up :boom:.

Have a nice OW course.

Ari :)

I can yawn with my mouth closed (very convenient during boring conversations!) although I can't pop my ears that way, Valsalva is the only method that works for me. To see if you can yawn and pop your ears while diving try it on land with your snorkel in your mouth to simulate the regulator.
Ber :bunny:

However I wouldn't recommend doing this while walking down the sidewalk... people might look at you funny (depending on where you live).

:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom