environmental concerns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

babar

Contributor
Reaction score
I read something about "environmental concerns" in using hot dipped galvanized tanks, and how there is less concern when using 'cold dipped' tanks. I didn't know what they were refering to, could someone flesh out these concerns a little more? and maybe a word or two on the galvanization process? I'm looking into buying some steel tanks now.

Thanks
babar

I believe the enviromental concern with hot dip galvanize is in the hot dip process where tanks are submerged in molten zinc. The molten zinc gives off hazardous fumes just as lead does when melted. Once the zinc is on the tank it poses no concerns.
I don't know exactly what you are referring to as cold dipped tanks but I think it may be some type of zinc rich paint which is not nearly as durable as hot dip galvanize and I would definitely chose hot dipped tanks.

Captain

babar:
I read something about "environmental concerns" in using hot dipped galvanized tanks, and how there is less concern when using 'cold dipped' tanks. I didn't know what they were refering to, could someone flesh out these concerns a little more? and maybe a word or two on the galvanization process? I'm looking into buying some steel tanks now.

Thanks
babar

I live in the Los Angeles area and a few years ago I need to get a bunch of steel hot dip galvaized. It turns out there are NO hot dip facilities in the Los Angeles basin due to air pollution laws. You can imagie what a pool of melted zinc gives off not to mention the exaust from the flames used to keep a large pool in liquid state. They had to truck the stuff about 50 miles away

THere is another process they can do locally. THey spay hot
zinc. I think they use electric current and put one cable on
the part to be sprayed and one on the spray gun. Current
flows through the sprayed zinc and heats it. The resulting coat
is smoother but not nearly as thick.

Just to answer any questions: It was some custom iron work used for outdoor stair handrails nothing scuba related. And the cost is not to bad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom