entry/exit observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The entry at the Lighthouse can be a real bear. Doing the entry & exit with a rebreather & a sidemount bailout was definitely a challenge. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though, one of my favorite sites to dive on the island.

One rule I try to follow is never do a night dive at a site I haven't done during the day, unless it's one of the dock dives.

The collapsible canes and walking sticks will eventually lodge the tip in somewhere, cane sections pull apart, and the cane and user will collapse. Use with caution!

The key to entries and exits is good balance. Instead of bringing more stuff I think it is better to develop balance. It isn't that hard. Squatting barbells will develop balance that will serve you well in a surf and uneven entry situation. I am no petite flower as Murky Waters can attest. I helped my much leaner/skinnier buddy through tough entries and exits (not Murky) while carrying my very large camera. I don't profess to be a physical specimen but, having the strength and balance to squat well in excess of my body weight allows me to enter tough conditions confidently.

I mean, when a person arrives at the dive site, they assemble their kit with a fresh tank. They check the pressure in the tank, do a reg check, if they have a camera they do a check to make sure the strobes fire and the camera operates. Why wouldnt you also check the entry and exit points?

I don't profess to be a physical specimen but, having the strength and balance to squat well in excess of my body weight allows me to enter tough conditions confidently.

I agree that would help, but at my age (and the wife's)...probably not gonna happen. I do believe you can learn (and practice) techniques to keep your upper body mass (and tank mass) over your center of gravity. With experience and most importantly confidence (if you slow down and lean over, you're done), you can handle most of the entries/exits (at least enough, along with the "easy dive" list, to enjoy the diving freedom). That said with a few band-aids, plenty of alcohol (both rubbing and drinking :)) and most of all a sense of humor, you can have a wonderful diving experience. The dive freedom really is special.

The key to entries and exits is good balance. Instead of bringing more stuff I think it is better to develop balance. It isn't that hard. Squatting barbells will develop balance that will serve you well in a surf and uneven entry situation. I am no petite flower as Murky Waters can attest. I helped my much leaner/skinnier buddy through tough entries and exits (not Murky) while carrying my very large camera. I don't profess to be a physical specimen but, having the strength and balance to squat well in excess of my body weight allows me to enter tough conditions confidently.
Hi darook,

Strength is important but improving balance is more and less complicated then strength training. For that you need proprioception training. Something like this...

http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbasketball/rafcms/mediafiles/879341B3_5056_A318_A8DABA75A4003340.ppt

It can be very effective

The effectiveness of proprioceptive training for improving motor function: a systematic review

Its also good for rehabing sprains and joint injuries.

Strength is important but improving balance is more and less complicated then strength training

I find that strong legs/glutes and a tight core are great for balance, particularly when quick rebalancing movements are required. Squats, dead-lifts. lunges, and calf rasies for the legs, and a variety of core exercises, particulalry on the oblique abdominals, help to regain losing balance without putting undue strain on the lower back or knees while lowering your center of gravity.

Scuba diving isn't really a sport, but basic fitness goes a long way, especially if where you want to get to and back from to is a little rough, as is the case with some of Bonaire's most astounding sites.

An attentive buddy is also a great thing to have if you are dealing with arthritis or other mobility issues and end up on the rocks.

I do like that cane idea however for those without the ability to adhere to a training schedule and still want to be relatively secure when making sketchy entries and exits while diving.

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Ever see a bodybuilder on a balance beam?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom