entry/exit observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...but for some of the rockier entries I have considered them just for entry and exit.

A necessity for certain sites. East coast or Willemstoren Lighthouse, for example. Without them, you put yourself in danger of serious injury or getting swept away during rough waters and rocky entries or exits. Of course they get stowed during the dive, as they serve no purpose.

Murky, I hope you have permission to carry those gloves. If not, leave them at home and surely don't suggest using them on Bonaire.

I give myself permission to ensure my own safety and survival when making physically challenging entries and exits in very rough waters. I certainly do suggest anyone interested and fit enough to dive otherwise inacessible locations due to violent sea conditions and currents to use them. The only other options are to avoid the sites, get battered and/or swept away. Having been to Bonaire several times, and with my affinity for diving off the beaten path, they come out a few times per trip. With large waves crashing in high frequency on shallow dead coral or rocks, no damage is done, except to yourself if you attempt an entry or exit without the ability to make progress safely. 5mm Kevlar. Indispensable for the adventurous diver.

I don't know how to explain this process, but if I feel myself going down I'll try to turn to let my tank take the brunt of it. Or sacrifice a forearm rather than a hand/wrist. I'm a big believer in a full wetsuit too.

Gravity sucks. It's helps you descend but impedes any upward motion.
Also, returning to the surface means you are progressively regaining full weight as more and more of your body extends from the water. Balance, going from no weight to full weight, requires re-calibration of the vestibular system. That is why I proselytize about a collapsible cane as a necessary shore dive accessory on Bonaire, if for no other reason than maintaining balance in the shallows.

Also, returning to the surface means you are progressively regaining full weight as more and more of your body extends from the water. Balance, going from no weight to full weight, requires re-calibration of the vestibular system. That is why I proselytize about a collapsible cane as a necessary shore dive accessory on Bonaire, if for no other reason than maintaining balance in the shallows.

I had not thought of that! What a great idea . . .
There is a photo of them coming out of the surf floating around somewhere on here...

Found it! Hope you don't mind my reposting Imorin.

image.jpeg

How do those canes hold up in salt water? I have a really nice Leki collapsing walking stick, but I wouldn't want to replace it annually!

The Canes are 10-15 bucks. Disposable, for all practical purposes. I am picking taking one of these with me!

The Canes are 10-15 bucks. Disposable, for all practical purposes. I am picking taking one of these with me!
Ahhh, you mean like the cheapies you see while waiting in the pharmacy line? Have to check into that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom