End of 2019 and thoughts for 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My 2019 was similar to CWK's:
Paddy's Head, NS
Fox Point, NS
Herring Cove, NS
Indian Cove, NS
Mill Cove, NS
Africville, NS (Halifax Harbour)
Eastern Passage, NS (2 spots that really suck)
Sandy Cove, NS
Cow Bay, NS (2 of 4 spots that sucked)
Hammonassett Park, CT
Pleasure Beach, CT
Merwin Point, CT
Fort Pond Bay, Montauk, L.I., NY
2020--more of the same, except my brother & I may dive exotic Newport, RI.
Reads like a who's who of exotic shore dives.
Hope you have great diving in 2020

2019 - Since getting cave certified the previous year I've commited myself to expand my experience in cave diving. To that I made a trip to Mexico and to Florida. While I was in Florida I also attended the GUE conference and met up with @The Chairman for lunch - two factors that have greatly influenced my growth as a new diver

I spent the rest of the year doing regular ocean diving with trips around Southeast Asia like Anilao, Moalboal, Similans, Layang-layang, Malapascua, Brunei, Tioman, and a couple other dive sites around Malaysia.

20191104_141356.jpg

For 2020 I haven't laid down any trips but my goal is to finish full cave and take up sidemount

Got my Nitrox certification early in the year and I have been lucky enough to log roughly 80 dives in 2019. Wrecks in the St-Lawrence, Caribbean and quarry dives. The quarry was a great place to try and get used to all the changes I made to my gear : BP/W, Drysuit, Drygloves and my new Perdix (yeah... I spent a lot of money on gear this year :-D) I must admit that I never thought I'd enjoy the wrecks in the St-Lawrence that much : another reason to look forward to the 2020 diving season.

I am getting back into shape for the Rescue course that will take place in May and maybe ITT some time in the fall (depending how confident I feel with my basic skills). I also hope I'll get the chance to go to Tobermory ; it is a long drive from where I live, but I a dying to go.

Safe diving

So this was 2018 and 2019 plans respectively
2018 was great for me

I finally got back to teaching and introducing people to the wonderful underwater world. Albeit part-time as I also started my own business this year (in a completely different field).

So for my 2018 part-time dive career

I logged around 100 dives and certified around 30 students.

I got my first Dry Suit and have logged 28 dives with it already. Still getting used to it in all situations, but loving it so far. I tried a BP+W for the first time and loved it. See 2019 plans..

I had 2 amazing trips with our dive school and clients to Mozambique. Every one of them seemed to enjoy this, as did we. The diving was epic. Dived Marico Oog over two trips too.

Plenty quarry dives with students and clients.

Also finally got back to the chopper at our quarry dive site. We don't often go as it is deeper and we usually don't have accordingly certified divers with us. I hadn't been in around 4-5 years and managed to hit it spot on (it's not marked).

Dived in the UAE for the first time and made some awesome new friends

For 2019 I hope to dive even more and do some more dive trips.

I am keen to get my first BP+W and am also wanting to get Tec 40 done. This year it just didn't pan out.

Of course keep teaching diving

So for 2019 I must say I am super grateful as I had a cracker of a year.

I logged just over 110 dives for the year. And certified around 24 students. Slightly less than last year right now, but I have some outstanding certs with minor items to complete (which should then equal my total or exceed it). Of these I also ran a cracker of a DM course with a bunch of awesome people and 7 DM's on course that took place part time throughout most of the first part of the year.

I had 4 incredible trips with our dive school with many happy clients and some incredible dives. The diving was once again epic, even though the weather wasn't as great this time around on a few of the trips.

I dived our quarry helicopter dive a good couple of times, which was awesome :)

I started off with a little taster/intro to tec and completed my longest dive ever of over 3 hours. I achieved my goal and got my first BP/W as well as completing my Tec 40 course then. It was super cool and I am indeed hooked! I also dived Komati Springs for the first time which is where we did our final qualifying Tec 40 dive. Got a fair amount of practice in after that also.

Got a whole bunch of new gear (tech gear mainly) as well as swopping out my Suunto Eon Core for a Perdix. I am sure the peeps here will be happy to hear that.

I ended off the year with another 2 tech dives in our local quarry on the chopper hunt just for some added tec practice. Can't complain :)

Honestly grateful for such an amazing year :)

For 2020:

Dive and teach more as always :)
Same/More dive trips hopefully :)
I would like to get Tec 45 done and possibly Tec 50...not to sure if time and money wise 50 will be possible, but 45 should be :)
Complete my collection of tec gear..although I feel like that may be never ending :)

Enjoy the diving all!

Made the usual trips to Mexico but added Puerto Escondido this time
Dove in the Red Sea - Saudi - freaking - Arabia
Got Rescue Diver certified
Met some amazing people

Get drysuit certified and dive the NJ and LI wrecks with the Sea Gypsies
More Mexico diving
Going to ScubaBoard Roatan in June. Looking forward to that.
Maybe get to Silfra.... maybe.
Be a better husband and father

Stopped flailing like a spaz
rescue diver
master diver
Figured out my weighting in all but way warm water
Sharks!
first wreck penetration (super simple one of course)
got most of my backplate/wing setup
got my **** together on my air consumption rate

Finish my backplate/wing (just needs the wing and maybe some trim pouches - will be done by late January)
Sort out my weighting in warm water and with the new gear
go on lots of local and travel adventures in cold and warm water -so many places to go and bodies of water to dive in!
If lucky, get my Teric
more advanced training (tech stuff, wrecks and/or cave - i dont like caves but I don't refuse knowledge, maybe drysuit)
Sexy carbon fiber fins

2019 I had just started SM diving, I worked really hard and managed to complete advanced nitrox, deco procedures, and extended range, did 1 LOB in the Red Sea. lots of training dives lots of deeper dives, longest dive 2.5 hours 49*F water very proud of myself and the skills I gained this year.

also started Advanced Wreck which will be finished up early in 2020

so far in 2020 I have a LOB in the Maldives in Feb. and another LOB in Red Sea in May.

hopefully I can at least start trimix by the end of 2020. and Id like to pickup a scooter as well this year it was gonna be my christmas present to myself but an $8000 vet bill came about instead.

had a tolerable year despite my cancers
completed 100 dives in four months

survive another year if possible
do some more diving (possibly a trip if health permits)
reconcile with my son

I get the results of my recent biopsy on 3rd January. There is about a 50% chance that it is malignant. Whatever it is, I'm off to RA that evening to celebrate living.

My 2020 bookings are now completed:
Jan - RA
Feb - Maldives
Mar - Galapagos
Apr - GBR
May - Derawan
Jun - Komodo
Jul - Cocos
Aug - Fiji
Sep - Banda
Oct - F. Polynesia
Nov - Socorro
Dec - Bahamas

But 2021 may be better:
Jan - Maldives
Feb - Cuba
Mar - Socorro
Apr - Sudan
May - Galapagos (tentative)
Jun - Cocos
Jul - Malpelo
Aug - F. Polynesia
Sep - Banda

I recognize and accept my mortality, so I'm just going to dive that bucket list until I am physically unable to do so. My doctors can poke their needles into me between dive trips. I'm not going to let the fear of dying interrupt the act of living. Carpe diem!

Bali - solo course
Christmas Island
Maldives
RA
Palau
PNG
GBR
Galapagos
French Polynesia
Banda
Still have Solomons this month and Socorro in December.

Jan - RA
Feb - Maldives
Mar - Galapagos
Apr - GBR
May - Derawan
Jun - Komodo
Jul - Cocos
Aug - Fiji
Sep - Banda
Dec - Bahamas
Plus whatever I book for Oct and Nov.

I like your monthly diving the world list. I plan to do similar when I retire in May 2020.

2019 was a busy working year, so I only do the following:
April: Took Rescue Diver
July: Flower Garden Banks
August: Jupiter
September: Banda Sea
December: Red Sea

In 2020
January: Raja Ampat
February: Back to work :(
March: Wrapup work :)
April: Preparing for retirement :D
May: French Polynesia
June: TBD
July: Guadalupe
August: Jupiter
September: Cocos
October: Bahamas
November: TBD
December: TBD

My goal is to log 1000 dives by end of 2020.

Back
Top Bottom