Emirates Electronics Ban Solution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ozziworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Has anyone been on an Emirates flight to the US where the Electronics Ban was already applied?

Just wondering how it has been playing out. I understand they will take your electronics at the gate for safe keeping and return them before baggage claim.

Any insights on this?

Actually, I was more concerned with checking in photo gear and laptops more because of theft of pilferage. I always pack all my underwater photo gear in backpack. So it is always with me.

I called Emirates and the person that I talked to said that they will take any electronics at the gate that may be part of the ban and keep them separate from regular check-in baggage. This includes cameras, flash, strobes etc. Apparently, lenses may not be included in the ban so I have packed strobes, chargers and camera body so that they will fit in a smaller padded bag to be surrendered at the gate.

At least that is my plan.

Will report back here on how this all plays out. Seems like a better solution than just checking in valuables.

It went very well. They took my whole backpack, camera, housing, stobes, ports, arms, chargers, laptop sealed it with zip ties and they basicall checked it in as special handling. It all came out and I collected it before any luggage came out of baggage claim. For individual items they wrapped each itme in bubble wrap, pleced it in a box and sealed it for each passenger. Was nowhere near the inconvenience I had imagined.

Emirates did a fantastic job responding to the Electronics Ban suddenly imposed on all flight bound for USA from Dubai.

Back
Top Bottom