Emerging National Emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clive francis:
i never said you were at fault i said you could help yourselves.

if there is no shortage why are some gas stations empty and others having queues of days or more to get gas?

simple maths really if you car does more to the gallon than the v8 gas guzzelers then it doesn't cost as much, so you don't have to complain about the cost, think yourself lucky you don't have to pay the prices we have to, then you would be really pissed off!! especially as it is £1.00 ($1.70) a litre in some places

if the car is more economical then there is more to go around and less of a queue.

sorry for stating the obvious!
There are some shortages at certain gas stations or locations because a lot of people panicked and so people swarmed into gas stations to fill their tanks while they had time. In fact I read that virtually all of the places that ran out of gas ran out because they were undercutting their competition, not because there is any kind of shortage.

There is no shortage.

Not yet, at least.

I haven't read this whole discussion so maybe I'm off the mark. Isn't the fuel problem largely due to the absence of power to drive the pumps in many areas?

The fuel problem is largely due to the tremendous peak in demand as prices went up and everyone panicked. It is (was, really) a localized problem in a few areas that just didn't have enough on hand.

There's no national fuel shortage or anything like that.

the big boy of Gulf refineries (ExxonMobile's Baton Rouge facility) is back on line
and has crude to process. Total's refinery in Port Arthur, Texas, is also up and
running with crude.

Convent and Garyville have also restarted. Valero Norco and Motiva Norco are
about to restart. Meraux is relit, but has a crude leak.

Chalmette, Belle Chasse, and Pascaguala are still assessing damage.

looks like we dodged the bullet on this one, folks

You keep making this claim but I see no numbers to back it up nor do I see it in real numbers of storms. I still think this is a twisted belief propagated by european media.

clive francis:
its not just a few, if you take the last 5 or 10 years, the storms are increasing in severity and numbers.

lets just hope it is pure coincidence that this is not connected to the global warming that is occuring which has been linked to amongst other things car exhaust gases.

another question:

how many more storms of this severity is it going to take for america to wake up and make the link to global warming and emission control?

last year my car insurance went up by a considerable amount, when i asked why, i was told it was because of the hurricanes and tornadoes in the US, i said i have never driven my car over there or made a claim resulting from either of these, why should i pay?

the response i got was basically because we have you over a barrel!
your insurance company told a LIE to you. Could that be possible??

Yeah, that's it. It's the Great Satan.. they're making these hurricanes !

Wildcard:
You keep making this claim but I see no numbers to back it up nor do I see it in real numbers of storms. I still think this is a twisted belief propagated by european media.

i fail to see how you can say you see no increase in the severity and numbers of storms.

they come earlier now, there are more of them and they are later as well.

its not just the US either there are freak storms every where causing havoc, places getting flooded that have never been flooded.

it must be great living in denial!

Randy43068:
your insurance company told a LIE to you. Could that be possible??

Yeah, that's it. It's the Great Satan.. they're making these hurricanes !

yeah that could be it, maybe the news reports and papers are telling porkies as well when it said llyods of london was bracing itself as well as 3 other underwriters.

if they made your premiums reflect the true danger of where you live, hurricane and tornado alley you would be up in arms because it would be so expensive you could not afford it or they would say you could not be insured as it was too high a risk, so to soften the blow to you guys, they penalise everyone else with premium increases to offset it.

if you believe that to be a lie then more fool you

clive francis:
i fail to see how you can say you see no increase in the severity and numbers of storms.

they come earlier now, there are more of them and they are later as well.

its not just the US either there are freak storms every where causing havoc, places getting flooded that have never been flooded.

it must be great living in denial!

More empty facts. Look at some of the links people have posted. It is you my friend that is in denial of the facts. These are not freak storms, just mother nature making a few changes. N.O should have never been built where it was. I hope it won't be rebuilt, But other places have never been hit like this before in recorded history. :11: "there are places besides New Orleans that flooded?"
So far you have posted assumptions like:
All americans drive gas hog V8s
This has caused storms world wide
This has never happened before
It's all our fault

Again, look at some of the links.
Name one place that has been flooded that hasen't been before :06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom