Emerging National Emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
We already have a property disaster along the central Gulf coast.
The levee failure in New Orleans has created a true national emergency. There is no drinking water, no steady food supply, little shelter, no transportation and literally tens of thousands of people trapped there. Heavy rains upstream in the Mississippi watershed mean the flooding will get worse rather than better over the next few days. We have little time to get emergency supplies to these folks before we have a human disaster of epic proportion on top of the vast property damage.
I urge each of you to join me in gathering what you can and getting it to the local Salvation Army or Red Cross for transportation to the disaster area. Usually, they need fresh water, bedding, cleaning supplies, canned or dehydrated food, insect repellant, bath soap, that kind of stuff. The local Red Cross and/or Salvation Army will be coordinating with their counterparts in the disaster area and can tell you the most-needed things.
You may be tempted to load up a truck yourself and just head down there, but I urge you to check with one of these national relief organizations before trying that.
This is no drill.
Rick

Here are their websites:

http://www.redcross.org/

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

These people are taking care of kidney dialysis patients, to children who have lost their parents, and they are currently serving over 5,000 free meals per day.

Just remember every little bit helps.

Thanks for reminding me Rick.

When the disaster happened in Southeast Asia the agencies said that money is the best thing to give. That way the agency can contract to get what they need in the local area thus saving transportation costs and delays.

One of the hardest things for us, TT - folks who are "fix-it" type personalities; problem solvers - is to let other folks "do it."
But at this stage of the game all we really can do that will help instead of hinder is to make ourselves and our treasure - whether that be money and/or supplies and/or some time - available to those who are in charge of the relief efforts. So I recommend calling the Red Cross or the Salvation Army (or the relief agency of your choice - I know the Southern Baptist Convention is another that's actively involved). My choice is the Salvation Army, but any of 'em would do.
And pray.
Rick

One note, the Salvation Army's web site is running rather slow, I'm not sure of the Red Cross. If you want to donate consider alternate method's. Sam's Club/ Wal-Mart is taking donations for the Salvation Army. If you know of a local office/chapter of an agency consider dropping off your donation there.

One of the best things you can give to the Red Cross is money. Mine has been sent.

Give money, the best advice.

I'm going to be giving a good chunk of money, but to my brothers, both of whom lived in the city..

I am a public health professional. We got word at work today that if we are needed, we will be called. We were also asked to send monetary donations to the relief organizations. This is the most efficient way. These organizations know what is needed. There have been too many occasions they have received supplies that weren't needed, thus weren't used.

TwoBit

Send cash not what you think is needed. Dig deep folks!

Back
Top Bottom