Emerging National Emergency

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill51:
I would much rather see the price of gas go up as a way of equaling out supply and demand than have some bureaucrat somewhere determine who should be allowed to buy gasoline and who shouldn’t until we can correct the supply problems.

if they don't get some crude back into the Gulf refineries, you're going to see
gas shortages all over the Eastern seaboard in about... i'd say... a week to
10 days

the tank farms are dry. the supply that's out there is all there is, as far as the pipelines
going east are concerned. we could be looking at a spreading "no gas"
situation here

i hope that doesn't happen, but i'm keeping my tank topped off at all times
just in case

jonnythan:
Where did all that info come from?
The Washington Post, NOLA.COM, the NO City website, The Chicago Tribune, The New York Times, the US Constitution, FEMA documents, Army Corp of Engineers documents, and dozens of other locations. For example:

Behind the scenes, a power struggle emerged, as federal officials tried to wrest authority from Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco (D). Shortly before midnight Friday, the Bush administration sent her a proposed legal memorandum asking her to request a federal takeover of the evacuation of New Orleans, a source within the state's emergency operations center said Saturday.

The administration sought unified control over all local police and state National Guard units reporting to the governor. Louisiana officials rejected the request after talks throughout the night, concerned that such a move would be comparable to a federal declaration of martial law. Some officials in the state suspected a political motive behind the request. "Quite frankly, if they'd been able to pull off taking it away from the locals, they then could have blamed everything on the locals," said the source, who does not have the authority to speak publicly.

A senior administration official said that Bush has clear legal authority to federalize National Guard units to quell civil disturbances under the Insurrection Act and will continue to try to unify the chains of command that are split among the president, the Louisiana governor and the New Orleans mayor.

Louisiana did not reach out to a multi-state mutual aid compact for assistance until Wednesday, three state and federal officials said. As of Saturday, Blanco still had not declared a state of emergency, the senior Bush official said.
<snip>
Blanco made two moves Saturday that protected her independence from the federal government: She created a philanthropic fund for the state's victims and hired James Lee Witt, Federal Emergency Management Agency director in the Clinton administration, to advise her on the relief effort.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR2005090301680.html

I skipped my dive trip this weekend because I’ve been on duty covering this story and compiling hundreds of sources.

H2Andy:
i hope that doesn't happen, but i'm keeping my tank topped off at all times
just in case
:rofl: Now we know where the shortage is going to. I don’t have the exact current numbers but during the fuel shortages of the 70s one report determined that the difference between normal driving habits and people topping off their tanks all the time equaled 40% of the Strategic Oil Reserves. Talk about cause and effect in action.

Yes we should see some crude flowing back in by the middle of the week. One of the emergency executive orders signed by the President last week authorized tankers to temporarily use facilities they aren’t normally allowed to unload at.

Bill51:
Yes we should see some crude flowing back in by the middle of the week.

"should" is not "will"

i sure hope we do, or all the tank-toppers in the eastern US are going to be
left with no gas with which to top off :14:

Im quite sure I have seen one or two people blaming Bush for this whole thing. As the truth comes out, so do the true colors of the southern democrats. LIe,lie,lie and hope you don't get busted. Sounds kinda familar. Cough, Clinton, cough.

freefall2:
I finally found a disaster story on cnn that didn't break my heart. Here is a list of countries who have offered help:
Qatar offers $100m to relief fund

Another happy note in just 2 days the members of our adventure motorcycle forum/smugmug/digital grin forum raised $16,505 and the owner matched all our donations for a total of $33,010.00 going to hurricane relief efforts!!

the UK has sent 500,000 24 hour ration packs today, never tried it, but this would probably be a close match, to quote crocidile dundee "it taste like ****, but you can live on it!"

H2Andy:
"should" is not "will"

The gasoline prices here seem to have stopped rising, so a substantial number of retailers believe they will not run out.

H2Andy:
"should" is not "will"

you could always help yourselves and the environment by getting rid of the huge v8's and going for the european sized engines that give you 40 mpg rather than 40 gpm.

that way you wouldn't have a fuel shortage.

this might cut down on the increasing number of huge storms you guys seem to be getting now days.

First there is no fuel shortage, it's just realy expensive. Second, what does V8 engines have to do with naturaly ocuring warming cycles? And third, thanks for the rations!

MikeC:
Clive, I drive a VW Passat, 1.8L turbo 4. Highway driving it gets around 32 MPG, city about 24MPG.

BTW, according to a show Sunday evening on Discovery Channel, a temperature increase of 1 degree C in some Atlantic Ocean area is an indicator that some nasty storms MAY be formed. Interesting that during the '40's the higher temps were noted, then the temps returned back to "normal" during the '60's-'80's. The temps have been elevated the last few summers.

BTW, did the British government send the military rations, like our MRE's? I have heard, never tried it firsthand, that the British military rations aren't bad.

Have the french send there rations, they have a baggie of wine in em.... :11: No wonder they never fight. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom