Emergency O2 in Minnesota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have recent experience getting emergency oxygen fills in Minnesota?

Scuba Center in Eagan previously offered this service but no longer does so and I am having trouble finding anyone that will work with me. I have scrip from an MD and also have a pilot's certificate (which some suppliers require for ABO orders), and I'm still coming up empty having called a number of places.

Does anyone have recent experience getting emergency oxygen fills in Minnesota?

Scuba Center in Eagan previously offered this service but no longer does so and I am having trouble finding anyone that will work with me. I have scrip from an MD and also have a pilot's certificate (which some suppliers require for ABO orders), and I'm still coming up empty having called a number of places.
Have you tried Minneapolis Oxygen or Toll? Go to the source, not a dive shop.

Was just at Matheson gas (successor to Minneapolis Oxygen) two hours ago, no joy. I have previously encountered foot-dragging at Toll but haven't pressed.

So the problem, in a nutshell, is:

- SCUBA shops won't fill medical cylinders because they aren't authorized to fill medical cylinders. It doesn't matter if you have a DAN card.
- Home oxygen services won't fill cylinders they don't own and won't rent cylinders for standby use. They only provide service to people who use oxygen every month.
- Industrial gas places won't fill medical cylinders unless you are an MD or a home oxygen service, even if you have a prescription from an MD, and even if you have a DAN card.

That's what I'm getting, having talked to places in each category today.

even if you have a DAN card

Sorry if I misunderstand, by this do you mean certification as a provider of emergency oxygen?

I have heard excellent things about Praxair. It's possible that the more industrial sources will not provide oxygen to a medical cylinder although you have a prescription because they may have a policy of not providing medical oxygen to those who are not trained to administer it.

In any case, my advice would be to find and contact a DAN Instructor or Instructor Trainer near you qualified to teach emergency O2. Even if you already have training in that, because they go through it for purposes of teaching their class they are probably the most likely people to know where to get fills. I teach DAN and just last year went through half an M9 just on classes.

Scuba Diving Instructor Training Workshops — DAN | Divers Alert Network

OK, two problems:

1) The DAN class is offered rarely here. I've tried to sign up and am presently on a waiting list.
2) Instructors I know who have taken the class are also having trouble getting fills and are resorting to personal connections that they are unwilling to share.

Keep in mind that the instructor community here is small. Sure, every shop has an emergency O2 kit. But there are fewer than 20 shops in the whole state.

With your prescription could you pickup a K or T of medical O2? I use Minneapolis Oxygen for H2 and O2 but haven't pickup up either lately. Probably will be getting O2 soon.
I gave up trying to get medical or aviator and just use industrial O2.
Al

With your prescription could you pickup a K or T of medical O2? I use Minneapolis Oxygen for H2 and O2 but haven't pickup up either lately. Probably will be getting O2 soon.
I gave up trying to get medical or aviator and just use industrial O2.
Al

I have a K of industrial O2 in my garage. From what I have been told I would be unable to purchase a K of medical O2. It's the same gas.

I suppose I could get a smaller cylinder of industrial O2 and a CGA540 medical regulator (which are abundant on ebay).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom