Emergency O2 in Minnesota

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's complicated.

Let's start with the fact that I don't have any plans to do any deco diving. The reasons have much to do with a lack (locally) of technical dive teams who are looking for new members and an absence (again locally) of interesting dive sites in the relatively narrow depth range where AN/DP is helpful without helium.

The next problem is that most tech shops here are PADI; there are only a couple of SDI/TDI shops and while they do offer AN/DP they have limited slots and it is logistically very difficult to take the class. The PADI tech progression requires a much larger investment of time and money to reach a level of certification where you can buy 100% O2.

To take AN/DP locally requires a drysuit, which I don't have, and requires travel to one of a handful of deep sites all around 200 miles away. So there are a bunch of barriers.

I think, if I were to take AN/DP or similar training, I would prefer to fly somewhere else for a week and do it there, with an instructor who really likes to teach it, and on dive sites that are rewarding in their own right rather than just a 150' deep platform. And I don't have the time or money to do that this year.

@2airishuman why not just take AN as a course? I think @uncfnp only took AN due to a medical concern that I can't remember off the top of my head. It's not a common request, but if someone came to me with that request, I'd certainly teach it without doing DP.
I did. It might be a bit of an extreme solution to your problem but with the right instructor, AN as a stand alone class is an excellent course with no need to go deep.

Chiming in on the "why not use industrial / cutting / etc oxygen" topic, technically it will work in a pinch yes.

However, if you fill your emergency O2 bottle with anything other than medical grade or aviator grade oxygen, and sh** hits the fan and you actually end up needing to use it, then Good Samaritan laws may not apply to you if the patient or patient's family litigate as you acted outside the scope of training (which mandates the above two grades are used exclusively for this purpose -- technically "medical grade or higher")

@lowviz just did AN alone, as well. He swears by 100%.
I did Advanced EANx Sept, 2010.

One of the best courses I ever took. Boring bookwork. Do this you gonna die, do that you gonna die faster. Then there is this: After dive oxygen: shouldn’t the diver decide?

If you are considering this, read the entire thread, not just TSandM's brilliant post. Aside: Somebody list the reasons why and when one should go onto pure O2, I don't have the time or patience to do a proper job of this at the moment.

If I feel that I need (or could benefit by) pure O2 then I will request it of myself and most likely grant the request without undue delay.

@Marie13, you were answering @uncfnp's post. She knows one hell of a lot about pure O2. She is also a woman of few words...

However, if you fill your emergency O2 bottle with anything other than medical grade or aviator grade oxygen, and sh** hits the fan and you actually end up needing to use it, then Good Samaritan laws may not apply to you if the patient or patient's family litigate as you acted outside the scope of training ...//...
Understood. However, there are more than a few independent divers who could only sue themselves.

We hold to a higher truth: S Drill Etiquette

Having read Vance Harlow, and threads like these I just scratch my head about the craziness surrounding this voodoo gas we all require to live. It seems easier to kill yourself with Oxycontin, and other schedule 1 narcotics than to get a cylinder of O2 for blending or just to have on hand for safety, even with certifications and/or medical prescription.

@aviator8, some nutcase is going to read your post and hurt him/herself. Your insurance company is going to set them up for life...

I dive solo. When I pass I would like to be cremated, medium rare, and dumped into the open ocean. Maybe a bit of Veloute if anyone cares to take the time.

One of my favorite sauces, unfinished...

@aviator8, some nutcase is going to read your post and hurt him/herself. Your insurance company is going to set them up for life...

I dive solo. When I pass I would like to be cremated, medium rare, and dumped into the open ocean. Maybe a bit of Veloute if anyone cares to take the time.

One of my favorite sauces, unfinished...
Hey, cant cure stupid can you. There will always be those that test Darwin's theories. Some may think they can watch youtube then pilot a plane, or in a more down to earth analogy do home improvement. Many people way overstep their capabilities in life. My take is learn it, train, study, practice. Most everyone can be good at things if they try. Doesn't matter if it is learning how to do calculus, constructing a dovetail drawer, dive a CCR, or fly a plane. You just need to apply yourself. If someone wants to go get 100% O2 and play blend monkey with no training or practice that's got nothing to do with me......:gas:

If someone wants to go get 100% O2 and play blend monkey with no training or practice that's got nothing to do with me......:gas:
I understand, but at first blush, it seems like you are against using pue O2. It is almost impossible to misuse pure O2 on the surface unless you breathe it chronically.

Prove me wrong.

Chiming in on the "why not use industrial / cutting / etc oxygen" topic, technically it will work in a pinch yes.

However, if you fill your emergency O2 bottle with anything other than medical grade or aviator grade oxygen, and sh** hits the fan and you actually end up needing to use it, then Good Samaritan laws may not apply to you if the patient or patient's family litigate as you acted outside the scope of training (which mandates the above two grades are used exclusively for this purpose -- technically "medical grade or higher")

If I were to conduct my life like that I'd be doing it solely in here

full.jpg

Helloh hellohh can you here meeee!

Hey there's a light, it's bright in here.

Back
Top Bottom