Emerald Lake in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Alright RMOs, it's time to get serious about our fun!

One dive that I have been wanting to do for a long time is Emerald Lake, in Rocky Mountain National Park. It's above 10,000ft and a 2 mile hike in.

This is would involve some logistics, acclimation, arduous hiking, and maybe some hardware mods well ahead of time, which is why I bring it up now. The lake typically has ice on it until June, give or take a few weeks, so I would plan on a mid-July dive in near-freezing conditions.

To anticipate the nay-sayers, I've already talked with the park rangers about diving there. Diving is okay anywhere in the park except Bear Lake. This would be a drysuit dive, not only for protection from cold water but also leaches. I would want to stage gear the day before, acclimate at a campground, and then do the dive the next day. I'd plan on a 2-3 day adventure that demands good physical fitness, with 1 or 2 dives depending on the depth of the lake. We can also talk about the proper mix, gear redundancy, altitude tables, etc. (Is all that a great sales pitch or what?)

I'm totally serious about this, and I'm looking for a dive partner who also has the necessary skills and an adventurous attitude. PM me.

glenn

Well, Glenn, you do make it sound attractive.

I have to confess that I am having trouble seeing myself hiking in with that much scuba equipment and then hiking back out after the dive. Perhaps it is my advanced age speaking, but I am having a lot of trouble envisioning it. I would definitely not be diving in my steel doubles, but it would have to be a two tank dive to make it all worthwhile. If I wear my fluffiest underwear and use AL 80s to save on tank weight, I will need to bring in more lead than I care to think of to sink. (That was my experience in Puget Sound.) That's a lot of gear to carry. As I mentioned in another thread in which you toyed with this idea, to me the hardest part of diving above 10,000 feet is always getting in and out of the water with all the gear, and just crossing the parking lot at Jefferson lake with my doubles is an ordeal.

So don't count on me. I guess I'm just too old.

I am sure the local young and fit crowd will be excited about rising to the challenge after reading my thoughts, though.

Yeah, the age thing. I hear you. If there's something I want to do, I'm feeling like I'd better do it right now... while I still can.

I see the Emerald Lake dive as a practice run for diving Pacific Tarn near Breckenridge. It's the highest official lake in the lower 48, perhaps the highest lake in North America, depending on how you define a lake. It's very remote and rugged, so the logistics are daunting. A helicopter sling-load might be the best way to get the dive gear there.

"Exploration is the physical expression of the Intellectual Passion. And I tell you, if you have the desire for knowledge and the power to give it physical expression, go out and explore. If you are a brave man you will do nothing: if you are fearful you may do much, for none but cowards have need to prove their bravery. Some will tell you that you are mad, and nearly all will say, 'What is the use?' For we are a nation of shopkeepers, and no shopkeeper will look at research which does not promise him a financial return within a year. And so you will sledge nearly alone, but those with whom you sledge will not be shopkeepers: that is worth a good deal. If you march your Winter Journeys you will have your reward, so long as all you want is a penguin's egg."

- Apsley Cherry-Garrard

g2:
Yeah, the age thing. I hear you. If there's something I want to do, I'm feeling like I'd better do it right now... while I still can.

I see the Emerald Lake dive as a practice run for diving Pacific Tarn near Breckenridge. It's the highest official lake in the lower 48, perhaps the highest lake in North America, depending on how you define a lake. It's very remote and rugged, so the logistics are daunting. A helicopter sling-load might be the best way to get the dive gear there.

If the helicopter can get our gear there, then one might think it could get us there, too.

I'm guessing that this will cost more than a typical trip to Rock Lake. In that case, my age may not be the only thing with the wrong digits.

You had me right up until "leeches".

That, plus the fact that I'm not certified with a dry suit, and have never dove cold water or altitude!

But... I've hiked up there and always wanted to explore that lake underwater. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

You had me right up until "leeches".
Leeches have trouble with both wet suits and dry suits. (But you do want a dry suit for this dive.)

boulderjohn:
... age may not be the only thing with the wrong digits.

Yup, it's... fiscally challenging.

I hate solo diving, but if I keep wanting to do these whacky dives I'm thinking I might have to go that direction.

I just noticed this thread, and am grateful for the long range planning. I am,most definitely, interested. I did not see if anyone who has responded so far has experience lake diving at altitude, but it is, assuredly, a different way to roll.

I finished my dry suit and Nitrox certs in July about ten years ago at Granby Reservoir, and later completed one other weekend trip to a lake somewhere around Leadville. My take is that lake diving is sort of like mountain climbing - you do it because it's there. I'd be happy to discuss my limited experience if anyone else is interested. And, please,understand that the physical component of hauling gear, adjusting to the altitude and rocky shore entry and exits are necessary components. Oh yes, and the water is cold - generally in the 40's, before you hit the thermocline.

Any other takers out there?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom