Embarrassment at Little Farnsworth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill:
Had a chance today to talk to the more experienced of the two tech divers I mentioned who did successfully complete this dive. He said he had to give it his all just to get to the bow, and to fight the current at depth. At least at the bottom there is a depression between the upright pinnacles that was somewhat out of the current, but he said it was murder clawing to get back to the anchor chain.

Can't imagine capturing any video under those conditions!

Thanks for sharing the story Bill. I think the two Farnsworth's on any given day can be mildly to wildly interesting. I like both, but have a preference for the real "Farnsworth" as the purple coral seemed more lush + I liked the big torpedo ray that lived there a long time ago.

Someday when I return I'd like to bring a Gavin with me. Also, a HE mix would be pretty nice. I could see the King Neptune being easily able to blend that on board? Question: Was the Nitrox being blended technical nitrox - 26/28%...not that I would use it at depth anyway vs. a Helium mix? Cheers. X

dumpsterDiver:
If you entered the water and the current was too strong to make it to the anchor line (especially with split fins and a camera etc.) why didn't you immediately come up and asked to get towed with a boat pole to the bow? or better yet ask them to simply run a granny line from the anchor line back to the stern. After doing a 150 ft dive previously, trying to muscle your way to the anchor line was asking for a hit.

Trying to swim from the stern to the bow in a strong current is really silly under most any conditions. Even if you make it, you have built up an oxygen debt, you sucked up a lot of air and it is impossible to really help your buddy if all of your attention is directed to making the anchor line. I try not to muscle my way through dive situtations if at all possible (anymore).

Sounds like you do NE wreck diving. California boats do not use granny lines...at least the ones I've been on. Rarely have I seen a boat pole used to move someone to the anchor because folks don't do anchor descents much. Often, the boat drops anchor deep with a large Danforth, or use a combo. of anchor and stern line attached to another rock if possible. Grapples etc. are not used. Divers will depart off the stern, or side and enter some nice kelp beds etc. Hard, metal wrecks are not their dive targets. Deco. diving isn't huge either off Catalina so you don't see Jon lines, etc. X

Thanks for the post, Bill.

Regards,

Being tired, or weak, or too encombered to dive in a strong current is tough, but... on the second dive...

daniel f aleman:
Being tired, or weak, or too encombered to dive in a strong current is tough, but... on the second dive...

For not being there your foresight and wisdom is gifted and remarkable. X

Mr.X:
For not being there your foresight and wisdom is gifted and remarkable. X

Uhhhh, just commenting on what I read from post one. That, and, havin' been there myself several times over the last thirty-five years and 5,500+ dives.

daniel f aleman:
Uhhhh, just commenting on what I read from post one. That, and, havin' been there myself several times over the last thirty-five years and 5,500+ dives.

My original response still stands. # of dives does not mean expertise, foresight or wisdom. X

Mr.X:
Sounds like you do NE wreck diving. California boats do not use granny lines...at least the ones I've been on. Rarely have I seen a boat pole used to move someone to the anchor because folks don't do anchor descents much. Often, the boat drops anchor deep with a large Danforth, or use a combo. of anchor and stern line attached to another rock if possible. Grapples etc. are not used. Divers will depart off the stern, or side and enter some nice kelp beds etc. Hard, metal wrecks are not their dive targets. Deco. diving isn't huge either off Catalina so you don't see Jon lines, etc. X

I used to a long time ago. To say that California Boats "don't run granny lines" sounds like it should generate more questions than be an answer to the situation. I dive in florida now mostlt, and anytime we have a strong current it is a drift dive. If we have to anchor and take students down a line, we either run a decent line down off the stern or run a granny line. Running a granny line is so easy?

drbill:
... I'd much rather be mildly embarrassed than still be drifting towards Hawaii!
Sounds like real wisdom to me. Thanks for sharing.

Willie

daniel f aleman:

Not sure I understand the point of this post? Are you suggesting that because it was only the second dive of the day that a diver should be able to stand up to a current they couldn't even deal with if it were the first dive of the day? I seriously don't understand the point?

I've been known to do 5-6 cold water dives in a day and am considered a pretty accomplished diver. I generally do 250-350 dives, mostly in cold water. However, very few divers would have had an "easy" time with the conditions we encountered at Little Farnsworth. Keep in mind these dive sites are separated by about 10 miles, one in the open ocean and the other on the island's leeward coast, not the same site at all. I had no trouble at Farnsworth Bank which had a good current and open ocean swell as well.

I'd appreciate clarification of your post since I honestly don't understand it.

PS- I just realized where you are posting from. Certainly the strong currents you dive there generally involve a quite different style of diving. Helps me understand a bit more about where you are coming from. I've done drift diving in your neck of the woods with some pretty stiff currents, as well as off the Florida coast not to mention other parts of the world. Quite a different story when you have a stiff current and good visibility, and a boat ready to follow your divers and pick them up. That experience is nothing like the type of diving involved in my situation, but it does help me understand your point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom