Embarrassment at Little Farnsworth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point? If you feel the dive is questionable (as I did at the surface heading towards the bow and anchor line), give serious thought to calling it before a situation develops. There were at least 5-6 divers on board who decided not to even suit up for this dive. Perhaps they were the smartest ones. Even the two tech divers from the crew had trouble crawling along the bottom to find the anchor.

Dr Bill,

Thank you for being so open about your experiences. Like many things in life, we often learn more when things don't go exactly as planned.

Reading this type of story from the experienced divers on the board is the best thing many us could do!

If you entered the water and the current was too strong to make it to the anchor line (especially with split fins and a camera etc.) why didn't you immediately come up and asked to get towed with a boat pole to the bow? or better yet ask them to simply run a granny line from the anchor line back to the stern. After doing a 150 ft dive previously, trying to muscle your way to the anchor line was asking for a hit.

Trying to swim from the stern to the bow in a strong current is really silly under most any conditions. Even if you make it, you have built up an oxygen debt, you sucked up a lot of air and it is impossible to really help your buddy if all of your attention is directed to making the anchor line. I try not to muscle my way through dive situtations if at all possible (anymore).

David P:
Dr Bill, I did not notice you were embarrased about being pulled back to the boat. I thought quite highly of you when you readily admited that to me as we watched the other two slowly make their way back. It was a pleasure meeting you, and I meant to ask Chris when I talked to him today if I get a voucher for the dives or should I just consider myself lucky that I only to a ride TO the chamber and not IN it.

It was mildly embarrassing to have to be assisted in my own waters on my home boat, but I'd much rather be mildly embarrassed than still be drifting towards Hawaii!

That was a wild dive site. I haven't seen anything like that ever that I can remember.

Didn't realize all the particulars about the dives you all did at Farnsworth Banks. Also wondered about the hesitancy of the group in entering the water... hadn't realized several had gotten seasick (no fun).

I was surprised the day before the dive when I saw the Nitrox bottles being filled for the Farnsworth Banks dive. Given the depth of the site, I questioned why anyone would be diving Nitrox due to the shallow MOD's involved. I dive air exclusively although I'm doing a Nitrox class for repetitive diving where Nitrox is available. Hope to get to mixed gasses since I'm really getting intrigued by what can be seen and filmed at depths greater than 150-160.

dumpsterDiver:
If you entered the water and the current was too strong to make it to the anchor line (especially with split fins and a camera etc.) why didn't you immediately come up and asked to get towed with a boat pole to the bow? or better yet ask them to simply run a granny line from the anchor line back to the stern. After doing a 150 ft dive previously, trying to muscle your way to the anchor line was asking for a hit.

Trying to swim from the stern to the bow in a strong current is really silly under most any conditions. Even if you make it, you have built up an oxygen debt, you sucked up a lot of air and it is impossible to really help your buddy if all of your attention is directed to making the anchor line. I try not to muscle my way through dive situtations if at all possible (anymore).

While you make a good point about strong exertion following a deep dive, there are a few points that weren't clear to you from my post.

1. I did not try to "muscle" my way to the anchor line, I used a hand-over-hand on the ships bump guard to get to the bow after I realized I couldn't get there by kicking at a reasonable rate.

2. My lung capacity is four times that expected for my age and weight, so I have good pipes and sip air (very low SAC rates normally). I also dive with an HP120 to ensure plenty of air in my primary tank for unexpected deco obligations.

3. Our team was a group of three. The two primary buddies were together and I was following them. I normally dive solo and have since the mid 60's.

4. I was at the surface until I hit the bow so no need to come up. Since I dive free on the boat, I try to minimize any requests to the crew while I'm on board.

5. I believe our surface interval was on the order of 150 min.

Good reminder DrBill! We all need to be aware of our limits, and when that little voice in our head says 'this isn't such a good idea' we should listen to it instead of letting our pride dictate to us.

Although, if that 'little voice' is overpowering and telling you to do crazy things, you may want to consult a psychiatrist!!!

Glad this event didn't turn more serious for you Bill!
Hope you have a great season!

drbill:
My point? If you feel the dive is questionable (as I did at the surface heading towards the bow and anchor line), give serious thought to calling it before a situation develops. There were at least 5-6 divers on board who decided not to even suit up for this dive. Perhaps they were the smartest ones. Even the two tech divers from the crew had trouble crawling along the bottom to find the anchor.

There's nothing like dropping a few kilo's of ego in the ocean to keep you real.... Nice post Dr. Bill.

BTW, when I've been diving 45 years I'll *expect* the boat to pick me up wherever I feel like surfacing.... :D LOL

R..

Diver0001:
BTW, when I've been diving 45 years I'll *expect* the boat to pick me up wherever I feel like surfacing.... :D LOL

R..

Heh, heh. Despite 45 years, I'm still a youngster! Have been known to easily outdive twenty somethings. Must admit that due to a lot of editing this winter, I've put on a few pounds and not in the shape I usually am. That could also have been a factor here!

I'd never expect the boat to pick me up though, not until I hit my 80's.

Dr. Bill,

My buddy and I had a similar, though much more dramatic, experience in the 1970's. We waited about 3 hours for the Coast Guard to pick us up. We could not go back to our entry point, as the waves had kicked up from 4-7 feet to 15-20 feet of a rocky Oregon Coast site; the waves were breaking all the way across the protected entrance we had swam out of.

Since then, I've had this policy: if the thought that I shouldn't get into the water is in my head, then I should abort the dive. No internal discussion, no justification--if the thought's there, I abort.

It worked this Saturday when my club had a dive on the Clackamas River, but the weather report was for heavy rain with wind (1-2 inches of rain). I decided not to go. I'll see how the dive went when I go to the LDS this week.

John

Had a chance today to talk to the more experienced of the two tech divers I mentioned who did successfully complete this dive. He said he had to give it his all just to get to the bow, and to fight the current at depth. At least at the bottom there is a depression between the upright pinnacles that was somewhat out of the current, but he said it was murder clawing to get back to the anchor chain.

Can't imagine capturing any video under those conditions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom