Embarrassment at Little Farnsworth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a teaching point: I haven't done a lot of dives in current, and the ones I've done have either been shore dives or drift dives. If I get in the water off a boat into current, what criteria should I use to decide that the current is too much for me? Should I always turn into it and try to swim a bit to measure what it's doing? Aren't things sometimes quite different if you get down a bit?

How strong do you feel on your initial pull down the line? if the bubbles are ripping horizontally and your body is waving like a flag, you should consider aborting. when I can pull myself down the line, it is usually less intense at the bottom where you can seek refuge on the downstream side of a wreck or wall. Also, I usually ask myself, if I get swept off where will I end up and what are the surface conditions? Often in strong current, I have had to forgo the camera in order to use both hands to pull down the line.

I am much more conservative with current on shore dives because there is no captain to chase me down. On shore dives, always look at a tide chart and try to predict what time it will switch. Diving off into the current to have the current switch at your turn point can foil the best plan. Pay close attention to the subtle cues that the current is picking up or changing direction.

TSandM:
As a teaching point: I haven't done a lot of dives in current, and the ones I've done have either been shore dives or drift dives. If I get in the water off a boat into current, what criteria should I use to decide that the current is too much for me? Should I always turn into it and try to swim a bit to measure what it's doing? Aren't things sometimes quite different if you get down a bit?

when you start asking yourself "is this too much", it usually is...
abort and live to dive again...

ok....you are evil Dr. Bill...because you just made me crap my pants....TWICE!!!!!! j/k:D

(first the rescue and second the point about hanging bait)

Hey V....i am glad to see u post again! welcome back!

drbill:
Quote:
Originally Posted by <name removed>
Being tired, or weak, or too encombered to dive in a strong current is tough, but... on the second dive...

Not sure I understand the point of this post? Are you suggesting that because it was only the second dive of the day that a diver should be able to stand up to a current they couldn't even deal with if it were the first dive of the day? I seriously don't understand the point?

No worries doc....i will translate for you.

I think <name removed> was volunteering to be put in a 25 knot current 20 miles offshore and making it back to shore without any mechanical or peronnel assistance. If he passes that test, I think <name removed> was volunteering to go a step further by standing in front of a running jet engine and proving how strong he is by demonstrating how long he can avoid being sucked into the meat grinder of an engine:D

....and of course there are great whites in cozumel for that added danger element....just like there are splended toadfish and easter bunny fish in california:D

Sincerely,
Mr. Smart Alec...proud to bridge the language barrier between Californians and Cozumelitos

AXL72:
No worries doc....i will translate for you.

Sincerely,
Mr. Smart Alec...proud to bridge the language barrier between Californians and Cozumelitos

Thanks... NOW I understand what he meant. Just needed a good translator (hee hee).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom