Embarassing Tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coll

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I recently took the plunge and purchased myself a new Worthington HP100. This is the first tank I've ever owned as all the others I've used have been rentals. I was just wondering what to expect when it arrives? Do I assemble it myself? Is it considered to be already hydro'd and VIP'd since it's brand new? Are there any procedures I need to take since it's a new tank? I'll only be using it for air for the foreseeable future if that has any importance in the discussion. Basically, is there anything I should know or will it arrive, ready to be filled? Sorry for the naivety :shakehead: and as always, thank you for sharing your collective knowledge.

The cylinder will arrive with the factory hydros date stamped in the crown and that is good for 5 years. Hopefully yours arrives when only a few months old.

In most cases cylinders will be shipped empty but assembled. Being empty the LDS will be compelled to perform a VIP inspection before filling it. There may be a VIP sticker from the factory or the seller but especially with a steel cylinder an empty one is one that needs to be inspected. Seeing a VIP from away may tell them that it was a mail order item and by default arrived empty and in need of an inspection.

If it arrives with a slight amount of pressure you can try getting it filled but for your own peace of mind having them open it up and perform a quick VIP is not a bad idea.

The almost unavoidable need of a VIP and the first fill does give the LDS a slight competitive advantage.

Pete

Link to LP Answers - Select Ask the Pro
http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_962/Context_954/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/Filter_4%3d257%3a3%3d255/XSSHP.html?Hit=1

I think the seller is the best source for information on the tank they are selling. If new, the VIP should be current month and hydro within months maybe. It should be all together. Contact the seller. If a local shop then the fill is normally included. If ordering through LP says against the law to ship sealed tanks and that a VIP is required. The cost of the VIP should include installation of the valve.

Last edited:
I recently ordered HP100s through the mail and they all came disassembled. I had to assemble the dip tube on the valve and then put the valves on. It wasn't too hard, except that I wasn't aware that the dip tubes needed Loctite, and I had one tank that the tank neck threads were not cut all the way down, preventing the valve from seating.

So, due to these issues (didn't find out about the Loctite until the LDS asked me who assembled them prior to them filling the tanks), I ended up taking them to my LDS, where they were able to fix everything, and did their own hydros afterwards. After it was all done, the cost just about equaled what I saved by ordering through the mail.

Next time, I'm just going through the LDS for the purchase to make sure it is done right the first time.

Despite what the instructions say, you do not want to use locktite if you plan on having the tank and valve O2 cleaned at some point in the future.

I think the seller is the best source for information on the tank they are selling. If new, the VIP should be current month and hydro within months maybe. It should be all together. Contact the seller. If a local shop then the fill is normally included.

I had an HP 119 that arrived last week (shipped directly to my home) and it came completely disassembled. The Thermo Pro valve was in its own box and the boot was not on the tank. Both were included within the same box as the cylinder.

I believe XS Scuba ships the cylinders to my LDS disassembled.

You will be required to get a visual inspection before the cylinder can be filled (assuming the cylinder was not shipped assembled and filled with 100 - 200 PSI).

LeisurePro ships the cylinders empty and the owner is required to get a local visual inspection prior to having the cylinder filled.

Thanks all for the help, I did in fact order my tank from Leisure Pro so it sounds like I'll have to get it VIP'd. I assume that if I bring it in to my LDS in it's disassembled state they'll just do the VIP and put it together right? They'd have to take it apart anyway for the visual? If I had to put it together myself for some reason, is there anything I need to know or is it just a simple screw this on type deal? How tight would you tighten it? What tools? Sorry for the additional questions!

Next time, I'm just going through the LDS for the purchase to make sure it is done right the first time.

I'll say!

LP sells them for $345.00

I paid $350.00 locally, VIP'd, O2 cleaned a filled w/ 36%.

Back
Top Bottom