Elphinstone - what is it like in late october?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Security in Egypt is very hit and miss. Sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. A lot of the time, they just seem to be going through the motions without any real thought. Inconsistency is the norm. Other times, they want to hassle tourists and a little baksheesh smoothes the path. I've no doubt that if a group were planning nefarious activities, some of the security forces could be bought off. There must be hard working, heroic members of the police force and military in Egypt. I don't wish to besmirch them all, but this is my impression having travelled to the country many times since 1999.
I will feel right at home then.
Maybe hit and miss as it appears to you but deep down, Egypt is a police state and their intelligence service is very competent and working very hard to maintain security for tourists. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that you don't know and don't see. I can assure you of that based on personal experience and knowledge. Nothing is foolproof as is the case even in the most advanced countries but they are very serious about tourists security without a doubt.
Even the most corrupt mafia state will try not to lose the golden tourist goose.
To be more specific so you can compare it with what it would cost you if you rent a car, here is the quote I got from Safwat, Marsala.com reservation manager, who turned out to be my private guide in Luxor (excellent guide, expert in Egyptology), back in December 2019:

Kind Regards
Safwat
Reservation Manager
marsaalam .com
+201010945699
Thanks for the info, I think I will use this for airport transfer. For Hurghada to Port Ghalib 76 EUR per direction, this is certainly convenient but car would still be cheaper I think. Not sure what gas prices are like there. Probably good since arab state right?
I got it right...I will not elaborate on the driving. If you think that's feasible and a good idea, fine for me.

However, regarding popping up at 06:00 at Marsa Shagra and expecting getting a trip to Elphinstone with this 6 o'clock zodiac: that won't work because
- the zodiac may already be full (sometimes it is booked days ahaed by the guests on site)
- you will not have a reservation for this trip (deadline is 17:00 the day before)
- At 06:00 only the staff needed for the Elphinstone trip are on site. There will be nobody for the paper work (medical statement, brevet, number of dives, ...)
- the dive shop will not rent you tank or equipment without you having performed a check dive with one of their DM - Standard procedure there for everybody regarless off the number of dives. If the DM says fine, you will be allowed to dive there. If he/she says no, or only with a guide or whatever, it will be that. No ways to negociate.

In short: There is no reason to get up at 02:00 to drive from whereever you will stay to Marsa Shagra because you will not get to Elphinstone that day.

Of course I will book beforehand and not just show up unannounced. I never go diving without booking at least a day before.

Thanks for the info, I think I will use this for airport transfer. For Hurghada to Port Ghalib 76 EUR per direction, this is certainly convenient but car would still be cheaper I think. Not sure what gas prices are like there. Probably good since arab state right?

Obviously it’s cheaper to rent a car. I can rent a compact car from Avis in Hurghada for 4 days for €76.

How long are you going to be in Egypt?

Last thing I will say on this topic, is I am glad I didn't have to talk to the soldiers at the security checkpoints who didn't speak English

It was well worth the cost of having the private van and driver

Since we are on this topic, I will say this... Egypt is supposed to be at peace with Israel, and an ally to the US. However, after having experienced the level of security during my trip, do they really expect the world to believe they did not know Hamas built smuggling tunnels into [Sinai] Egypt in order to smuggle weapons and other things in? Sorry, I was born at night but not last night - Egypt is NOT our ally, they are supporters of terrorism. I even friended a crew member from the RSA1 and lo and behold I visited his page the other day and he was posting pro Hamas crap. Deleted and blocked.

So.... Am I glad I went to Egypt not knowing this? Yes - because like Cuba (which I will never go as a Cuban American) - like hell I will ever go to either place.

The saying "ignorance is bliss" obviously doesn't apply to foreign politics. To say Egypt are "supporters of terrorism" is incredibly ignorant. The current regime, for all it's problems, can be credited with relentlessly fighting terrorism with great success, sometimes even with a heavy hand that raised serious concerns about human rights.
As for the peace treaty, Egypt is a country that currently has at least 20 million men of military age, the fact that we're not reading any news about them massing troops at Israel's border (therefore pinning there all the Israeli military without firing a single shot) pretty much shows to any sane person that they honor their peace treaty.
Of course, those who want to read rather then write nonsense on a diving forum may also know already that since 2009 Egypt has literally poured insane amounts of concrete in a few underground barriers designed to make tunneling from Gaza nearly impossible. I suppose we can all agree that Times of Israel has no Hamas affiliation, right? https://www.timesofisrael.com/egypt-begins-building-concrete-wall-along-gaza-border/

This being said, in any country where news reports from Gaza are not blocked/censored/downplayed but rather make frequent prime time news headlines, one can expect the attitude of the average fellow towards Israel to be rather unfriendly. Killing some 40.000 civilians (mostly women and children) in front of cameras tends to make you unpopular. No, saying "the terrorists did it before us" doesn't help, as people will start asking when did the terrorists become your teachers?

Did you read the rest of what Justsurfaceintervall posted?
Yes, I see, the dive check. Is this always the case with all dives to these reefs or only if you want to go early? Doing this drive twice is a bit too much, we also want to see the pyramids and luxor.
Obviously it’s cheaper to rent a car. I can rent a compact car from Avis in Hurghada for 4 days for €76.

How long are you going to be in Egypt?
Only 8 days
thats...insane
The saying "ignorance is bliss" obviously doesn't apply to foreign politics. To say Egypt are "supporters of terrorism" is incredibly ignorant. The current regime, for all it's problems, can be credited with relentlessly fighting terrorism with great success, sometimes even with a heavy hand that raised serious concerns about human rights.
As for the peace treaty, Egypt is a country that currently has at least 20 million men of military age, the fact that we're not reading any news about them massing troops at Israel's border (therefore pinning there all the Israeli military without firing a single shot) pretty much shows to any sane person that they honor their peace treaty.
Of course, those who want to read rather then write nonsense on a diving forum may also know already that since 2009 Egypt has literally poured insane amounts of concrete in a few underground barriers designed to make tunneling from Gaza nearly impossible. I suppose we can all agree that Times of Israel has no Hamas affiliation, right? https://www.timesofisrael.com/egypt-begins-building-concrete-wall-along-gaza-border/

This being said, in any country where news reports from Gaza are not blocked/censored/downplayed but rather make frequent prime time news headlines, one can expect the attitude of the average fellow towards Israel to be rather unfriendly. Killing some 40.000 civilians (mostly women and children) in front of cameras tends to make you unpopular. No, saying "the terrorists did it before us" doesn't help, as people will start asking when did the terrorists become your teachers?
Agree 100%, also Egypt warned Israel about the attack.

A check dive or rather called welcome dive is mandatory for every base you are diving with as far as I know.
Even if you stay at a hotel and only dive a simple house reef.

Well that maybe skipped, if they know you from previous trips, but usually you will have to do it.

Yes, I see, the dive check. Is this always the case with all dives to these reefs or only if you want to go early? Doing this drive twice is a bit too much, we also want to see the pyramids and luxor.
Check dives are mandatory at every dive shop you want to dive with. These check dives applies to everyone and especially if you have few dives in your logbook, the DM running these will ask you to demonstrate your skills.
It looks like you are fairly new to diving abroad or at least in Egypt. With your limited number of dives/experience and only 8 days in the country, i would not waste time on the road. Look at what the dive ops of your hotel is offering and start there.
You say "we want to see the pyramids", so you are not alone. Is you partner also diving? Where are you staying?
BTW: "Late October" ist next week...
Well that maybe skipped, if they know you from previous trips, but usually you will have to do it.
True. It is a question of respect and courtesy to apply to the procedere of the dive shop you visit, regardless of the number of dives you may have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom