Elphinstone - what is it like in late october?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes there are resident hammerheads at Elphinstone north plateau, usually you can see easily them between June and October.

The main problem with Elphinstone it that it is most of the time overcrowded with sometimes 15 or more liveaboard, not counting Zodiacs from Marsa Shagra and other daily boats, so that means 300 or more divers almost at the same time !

Marsa Shagra, a famous dive camp (accomodation goes from tent on the beach to superior bungalows) just in front of Elphinstone, with unlimited house reef diving is a good alternative to liveaboard, because they send Zodiacs everyday day (meeting at 6 AM) and you try to dive before the liveaboards.
That sounds like a good idea. I will simply leave my hotel at 2-2.30AM, probably 0 traffic and can dive at 6.
I don't remember there being big currents there... The oceanic white tip sharks are curious creatures and they can/will get close at times... I learned firsthand not to run but to face them and they'll turn away

I would highly discourage driving a vehicle there in Egypt, there's a lot of security checkpoints and unless you speak Arabic the language barrier could be a major problem.
Why are there security checkpoints? Maybe they are only after Sinai and not eastern part of egypt?

Why are there security checkpoints? Maybe they are only after Sinai and not eastern part of egypt?
I cannot tell you why, but I have seen and "used" them already 10 years ago in Hurghada.

Speculation: Seems like they just do something, because something happened. Additionally I believe It is especially close to touristic places, mostly the more expensive areas. So tourists are supposed to feel safer and cared about...

I will simply leave my hotel at 2-2.30AM, probably 0 traffic and can dive at 6.
Am i getting that right?
Your plan is to start your journey at 02:00 and drive in the night? in a rented car?
And then arrive at Marsa Shagra in time to jump on the zodiac to Elphinstone at 06:00?

Why does this reef not have any reef sharks, but it has oceanic ones.

Do divers get bitten on their hands a lot? I could paint my hand black or something.

LOL

Whats a blue water dive? Diving in the middle of nothing and seing nothing?
A "blue water" dive is something like Rasdhoo Kandu in the Maldives, to see hammerheads. Google it.

That sounds like a good idea. I will simply leave my hotel at 2-2.30AM, probably 0 traffic and can dive at 6.

To be frank, it's a stupid idea. And the checkpoints are there for like forever, IIRC there are 4 between HRG and RMF.

Most dives in the Marine Parks are wall dives along the reef. Encounters with Longimanus are typically towards the end of the dive, in shallow water and often during your safety stop, before eixiting. As far as I know, they are not blue water dives as such.

Red Sea Aggressor had one dive strictly with Longimanus in blue water when I was there in December 2019.

The security checkpoints are for tourist protection as tourism is a big income earning for Egypt. It was like that even back in 2019.

I went from Hurgada to Marsa Alam with Steven’s Taxis through MarsaAlam.com - Guide to the region, excursions, taxis and more. They are very reasonable. I think it would be best for you to hire a local diver & car from them. After the liveaboard trip, I have a full day to return to Hurghada. I think my flight was leaving Hurghada at 11pm. So I arranged for Steven’s Taxi to pick me up at 3AM at Port Ghalib and take me to Luxor and have a day tour there before taking me back to Hurghada. We may have passed about 10 check points on the way to Luxor. The driver just spoke to the police and explained the reason for passing the checkpoint. Most of the time he just said in their local language that he’s taking American tourist (pointing to me sitting in the back seat). The police would say “Ooh American”, give him a thumb up and waved us through. They must like American at the time for some reason. You can read more detail story in my BDE trip report, here:

The entire area is under military control to protect the tourist zone. The security we witnessed between Hurghada and Port Ghalib was incredible. Checkpoints on the road, letal detectors and bag conveyors / xrays to walk into a hotel... You wont walk into thr hurghada airport without a passport and a plane ticket and they scan you and your bag on the way in.

Those of you who get butthurt easily, please stop reading here...

Since we are on this topic, I will say this... Egypt is supposed to be at peace with Israel, and an ally to the US. However, after having experienced the level of security during my trip, do they really expect the world to believe they did not know Hamas built smuggling tunnels into [Sinai] Egypt in order to smuggle weapons and other things in? Sorry, I was born at night but not last night - Egypt is NOT our ally, they are supporters of terrorism. I even friended a crew member from the RSA1 and lo and behold I visited his page the other day and he was posting pro Hamas crap. Deleted and blocked.

So.... Am I glad I went to Egypt not knowing this? Yes - because like Cuba (which I will never go as a Cuban American) - like hell I will ever go to either place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom