Trip Report Ellaidhoo Maldives by Cinnamon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good question Pearlman

The sewage goes into a tank that gets pumped out. There is no sewage smell.

They stopped using plastic garbage bags, and switched to reusable nylon bags.

They compost all plant and compostable waste, and grow fresh vegetables on the island

The glass waste is ground up and made into bricks that are then used to make honeycomb structures to seed areas for reef growth

No plastic straws or cups, everything is metal or glass. The straws are paper.

Individual packages have been eliminated, and now everything is bulk. For instance, there are pump dispensers in the bathrooms so individual soap bars and packaging have been eliminated.

It's quite an impressive operation.

Hi Doc, still waiting for the final chapters on a so-far outstanding review…

Oops, forgot to finish

Accidentally deleted ALL of my photos. Not just the Maldive photos. Working on recovering them.
No problem. Just a quick summary of the diving would be OK.

If I may be as bold as to contribute to Doc Harry's post to help you tridacna,

The boat leaves from the jetty early morning, there are two boats if I recall, a smaller and larger one, both have ample space and good facilities as does the dive center on the island.

They give comprehensive dive briefings, and are thorough in checking people back on to the boat and they note gas consumption ,dive time, depth etc on a log on return. A good thing given strong currents on most of the sites.

Dive guides are knowledgeable on the sites, as you would expect. There tends to be a fair amount of groups that come here, solely for the diving so the standard of diver is a little higher than the bicycle kicking variety you find in the Red Sea for example.

The DC can provide larger tanks, Nitrox and other amenities.

You can prepare the gear the night before and leave it on benches in front of the DC and the crew loads your gear on the boat you will go out on the morning of the dive. They can also bring it back for you, but I like to carry my own stuff.

Hope that helps. Dont have a lot of pics from the boat, but added the below. Since I don't know the people or have their permission I blacked out the faces. Hope it gives an idea though.

Cheers,,,

Attachments

• 2021-11-12 11.29.01.jpg
    2021-11-12 11.29.01.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 73
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 2021-11-14 09.04.52.jpg
    2021-11-14 09.04.52.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 75
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/