TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - June 27 - July 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Avalon, Redondo, Socorro, Luca, and more
(please scroll down for details)

Hard to believe that next Sunday is July 4th . . .

AVALON SKED CHANGE - We'd be planning on going over on Wednesday, July 7 but my sked changed so we'll delay a couple of days and go on Friday, July 9 out of San Pedro. 8AM boat going over, 5:15PM out of Avalon coming back. So we'll have ample time for three dives (I'm also going to do a little cleaning of the Cousteau Plaque) and a good time will be had by all. If you're hankering to see Giant Sea Bass, we'll been having pretty good success this year so hopefully that trend will hold. $160 covers you for round-trip Cat Express, taxi, and even tanks and airfills. (But bring your own weightbelt.) We've already got 3 + me going so this is a definite go. Give us a call at 310/652-4990 (or e-mail here) if you want to join us.

INDULGE YOURSELF - The Ritz-Carlton just opened a new resort in the Maldives. Gorgeous white sand beaches, lots to do besides dive, and you even get a private butler. And what would you expect for $1,500 per night? But if you'd REALLY like to splurge, sign up for the 16,000 square-foot Ritz-Carlton Estate. Three bedrooms, private beach cove, outdoor kitchen, private chef, and your own private pool. I'd expect no less for $22,500 per night. If you want to take a peek, click here (gawking is free): RITZ-CARLTON MALDIVES.

LUCA REVIEW - Pixar has another winner on their hands that also has an underwater angle in the movie Luca. We streamed it last night through Disney+. Really charming story about some species-unknown fish who venture to the surface and the "Land Monsters" (because the LMs call them "Sea Monsters"). 96-minute running time. Be sure to watch for the bonus footage following the credits.

SOCORRO NEXT YEAR - As we all start thinking about resuming dive travel, remember that we've got the Nautilus Under Sea booked again for Socorro, March 12-20, 2022. This is the same boat we took this year down there. We'll likely go in a day early which means a relaxing pre-boarding day, as well as an opportunity to do a couple of local warm-up dives if you like. Cost of the trip includes transfers from the Cabo Airport, hotel overnight, the boat (double-occupancy) with all diving, food, and tanks/airfills included, as well as the crew tip. Bear in mind we only have four spots left right now, 2 in a regular stateroom and two in the co-ed triple. (You're stuck with me as a triple roomie.) If you go with the triple, you're looking at $4,195. For the regular stateroom, add $400. Let me know if you're interested.

AQUATIC PODCAST - Laura Mosqueda forward a link about a series of podcasts that deals with how sounds in the ocean have changed over the last 15 months due to a decrease (anthropause) of human activity. Each podcast runs 20-30 minutes and you can listen to one podcast or listen to them all. Most interesting perhaps, is that each podcast has "Show Notes" that gives links to other interesting links and bits of info, as well as a transcript of the podcast, if you'd rather read than listen. Dive into as much as you like with this overall link: THE SOUND AQUATIC.

NIGHT DIVE ON THURSDAY - We've got another Redondo dive scheduled for this Thursday evening. Due to where we are on the calendar with sunset occurring so late, unless we start at 8:30PM or later (which I'd rather not do), this is more of a dusk dive than a true night dive. Throughout the year so far, it seems like conditions have conspired against us. But you never know when our luck will change. Since I'm at the Aquarium of the Pacific that day for my regular shift (which ends at 4PM), we could start as early as 5:30-ish. So if you're interested, let me know (and bring quarters for the parking meters - one of these days, they'll convert to credit cards). Obviously, these dives are always weather/surf-dependent. Deadline to sign up is Wednesday at 3PM.

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom