Electrical outlets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apple USB chargers, the outlet connector can be changed.
upload_2021-9-13_11-9-21.jpeg

Bring something like this just in case: https://smile.amazon.com/Adapter-Voltage-Converter-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07GML6P16/ 25 bucks and it'll have you covered.

There are plenty of better models if you want to really be sure, but I think this one will be fine for a hair dryer.
The linked adapter takes care of the voltage, but not the AC frequency. It is the 50 Hz in Bonaire that is the issue. The hair dryer motor will run slower, but the heating element will be just as hot. The slower fan means less cooling of the heating element, so it can overheat. Some hairdryers don't mind, some do. Some cut off the power if the element gets too hat. Some just burn out the element. The ID plate on the hairdryer should say what voltages/currents/frequencies it can be used with.

I’m pretty sure most hairdryers use universal motors which are not dependent on frequency.

Newer smaller lighter dryers use brushless DC motors, which have electronic commutation and speed control built-in using switched mode DC power.

Older ones use universal motors which can be run on AC or DC. They are voltage dependent, speed is determined by the voltage, commutation is provided by a mechanical commutator.

Newer smaller lighter dryers use brushless DC motors, which have electronic commutation and speed control built-in using switched mode DC power.

Older ones use universal motors which can be run on AC or DC. They are voltage dependent, speed is determined by the voltage, commutation is provided by a mechanical commentator.
I'm sure you are right, some of the time. But try convincing my wife who's (old) hair dryer overheated on 50 Hz, even though used on the correct voltage.

I'm sure you are right, some of the time. But try convincing my wife who's (old) hair dryer overheated on 50 Hz, even though used on the correct voltage.
I would say her vent screen was plugged. :wink:

Older ones use universal motors which can be run on AC or DC. They are voltage dependent, speed is determined by the voltage, commutation is provided by a mechanical commentator.
I think you're the victim of spellcheck. Unless some hair dryers include a device whose function is to comment on how you're doing at drying your hair. I suspect you meant commutator, but I now want a hair dryer that tells me "....aaaalmost there... OK, you're good - hair is dry."

Back
Top Bottom